not impressed with Lago

I checked out Lago shortly after they first opened and unfortunately, I wasn’t too impressed. I really wanted to like this place. I loved its predecessors: Mojo and Theory (I wish Mojo never left and Theory had the best desserts and patio). When I went with my girlfriends, we were the only people there. It was a Tuesday, but still – nice night should mean more people out and about. I wasn’t too hungry, so I ordered the wedding soup and two appetizers (scallops in a sweet corn truffle sauce and prosciutto with mozzarella). The prosciutto was pretty good but both the soup and scallops were super salty and the scallops were tough. The decor inside went from really great when it was Mojo and Theory to uninspiring. I’ve wanted to go back and give it another chance, but everyone I know that’s been there hasn’t said anything overly positive.

1. hot coffee girl
    Posted July 12, 2007 at 11:56 am | Permalink

That’s a shame…I wanted it to be so great!

Posted July 12, 2007 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I know, me too! It’s still early, you never know.

Posted October 2, 2007 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Have you been back? I have eaten there at least 10 times and have never been disappointed. The atmoshpere is very inspiring when you are looking at murals of Tuscany and Lake Cuomo. Sorry you don’t like it, but everyone I have spoken with loves the place. I don’t think you are as much as a foodie as you claim to be. You need to go back to food 101 and learn what great food is.

Posted October 2, 2007 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

No, I haven’t been back but said a few times I plan to one of these days. I’m all for giving a place a second chance. I’m glad you have enjoyed your meals. However, I’m not alone; I have spoken to many people that had similar experiences. If anything, Lago sounds pretty inconsistent. But again – this is all just my impressions and my views. You are welcome to disagree, but in doing so, why not post your real name instead of throwing out rude and childish comments while hiding behind anonymous? Really, is that necessary? And I never claimed anything on this blog, except that I love food. I do appreciate the comments, even when it differs from my view, but seriosuly, there is a better way to do it.

Posted October 2, 2007 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

michelle i posted anonymouse because i don’t have a user name for this site, but it is tom gallagher. i believe in different points of view and I was just expressing mine, no intentions of childish behavior. i personally feel that the food and atmosphere are great. i really enjoy the murals at lago. but lago aside what other restaurants can we disagree about (lol).

Posted October 2, 2007 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

You are absolutely welcome to express your POV – in fact, that’s what I hope people will do. But reread your last two sentences in the first post… maybe not your intention, but it reads differently

Anyway, thanks for checking out the blog, glad you like Lago (I will post if I go back) and I hope you continue to contribute – Tom.

Posted April 7, 2008 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I was incredibly disapointed when I went to Lago with my fiance and good buddy Stacey. We went on a Sunday night at 8:30pm. When I called they were a bit rude because they close at 9pm on a Sunday. I realize you want to go home…but at those prices one would think the service would be better.

When we arrived we were again reminded the kitchen closed at 9pm. AND then…the food was mediocre at best.

I won’t be back.

Posted April 8, 2008 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I haven’t been back since this visit, and mostly because Iof comments like yours. There are too many other great places to dine in this city…

Posted August 23, 2008 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Too many great places to dine in this city? Yikes…broaden the horizons. You definitely need to go back to Lago and give it an actual try, like perhaps eating an entree or specialty (hint: all fresh, homemade pasta is a start). And enjoy one of the delicious brunellos on the wine list…which provides an excellent variety of Italians. I view your review as premature — you don’t know enough about Lago to opine, and once you do, I think your tune will change.

10. Lou
    Posted September 25, 2008 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Sounds like anonymous either works for Lago or is related to someone at Lago. Give it a rest already. Great restaurants really do not need that many chances to make a good impression. Try some other restaurants in our city.

Posted October 3, 2008 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

For the record, Anonymous (08/23/08) is neither related or on the payroll.