q & a with boulevard blue/paladar head chef

If you aren’t familiar with Chef Matthew Mytro, do yourself a favor and check out his delicious creations at Boulevard Blue or the highly anticipated (especially by me) Latin restaurant, Paladar, opening next week in Eton. Thanks, chef, for giving us a little insight into your world.

1. the top 5 spices that are a must in every kitchen: Pimenton (smoked Paprika), Guajillo Peppers, Cinnamon, Pink Peppercorns, Ginger
  2. favorite and least favorite food to make: favorite / soups; least favorite / Ramon noodles
  3. if you could cook for one person, real or dead, who would it be: My Grandfather!
  4. you’re having a dinner party, top 5 songs on your play list: Tiny Dancer by Elton John, Badfish by Sublime, Riding For a Fall by Horace Andy, Grassroots the Album by 311, Anything by Neil Young
  5. favorite restaurant in Cleveland: red the steakhouse
  6. what restaurant do you miss: Mojo’s (me too! me too!)
  7. favorite thing about Cleveland and what drives you nuts: The people……..The fact that I know Cleveland could be similar to NY and Chicago in terms of culinary, if some of the Cleveland’s non food savey would be more open to trying new techniques and flavor combinations. (I agree – we need less chains)
  8. most famous person you have cooked for: Barenaked Ladies
  9. most unusual food you have ever tried: Molecular Gastronomy
  10. if you weren’t a chef, what would you be doing: Making music, surfing or sailing by myself and traveling to as many places as possible
  11. Any hidden club, cafe or restaurant that Clevelanders have yet to discover: The Thermador ……..Across from Grovewood Tavern (love Grovewood, not familiar with Thermador but will check it out)

Chef Matthew also just started a T-shirt company geared towards foodies and culinary professionals called Stove monkeys. They start printing next week.

Posted July 28, 2007 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

I spoke with matt recently, and he was un-aware, and had yet to attend the farmers market at shaker square, a block away, and biggest farmers marktet in town. Alternatly he was very excited about having spent time in chicago. As if some kind of epiphany happened in chicago, wait, it did, and it started with a farmers market, hhhmmmmm.

Posted October 12, 2008 at 1:42 am | Permalink

Matthew is my son. I am very proud of him. His maternal grandfather and I love to cook. We have both been caled “inventive, inprovising cooks”. Although I didn’t cook a lot while raising Matthew for 13 and 1/2 years I did turn him onto many different types of foods (ethnic, etc.), cuisine, and restuarants as a child. I remember him not being impressed, but look at him now. Who would have known that years later when he became a man he would be creating, running, and marketing exposure for fine restaurants? There was no indication that he would turn out to be such an interesting chef, except that he was a latch key child and had to create snacks when he was home alone. Our family always thought that Matt would end up being a Politican or a Pastor. He’s always been so outgoing and good with words. He’s an amazingly talented, bright, handsome. versatile, and hard working young man with a good heart….someone I am proud to say I raised. Hey, Mom’s have the right to brag! That’s our job! :)

Posted October 23, 2008 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

I actually work next to Paladar and have never eaten there. I live next to the Thermador and it is my favorite place in all of cleveland! I’m even having my birthday there. Hope everyone checks out this little known place. Someday I’ll eat at Paladar.

4. Posted December 18, 2013 at 8:05 am | Permalink

I don’t know if it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else experiencing issues with
    your website. It appears as if some of the text in
    your posts are running off the screen. Cann someone else please comment and llet me kow if this is happening to
    them too? This may be a issue with my web browser because
    I’ve had this happen before. Kudos

5. Posted December 18, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for chefneeds restaurat equipment

6. Posted October 4, 2014 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
    Very useful information particularly the last part :) I care
    for such info a lot. I was looking for this certain information for a very long time.

Thank you and best of luck.