tomato paella

I made this tomato paella from The New York Times’ Mark Bittman. This is the easiest paella I’ve ever made. It was not very time consuming and tasted simply delicious. The only thing I changed was the rice. I used whole-grain basmati rice instead. When I cook at home, I always try to use whole-grains/wheat instead of regular flour, rice, bread, etc. I’ve also switched to baking with soy butter and Spelnda in place of white and brown sugar. No one has yet to notice the difference. In fact, I just made my healthier version of chocolate chip cookies and my husband gobbled them up.

If you do make this paella recipe with brown rice, you may have to cook it a bit longer and add more chicken broth. I ended up adding another can of broth and cooked it for almost 50 minutes. I assume this was because of rice I used. Either way, if you have lots of fresh tomatoes, this really is a must-try recipe. Would be good for a dinner party, too.

Posted September 9, 2007 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

This recipe sounds timely and delicious – I generally have success with Bittman’s recipes. I’ve fallen in love with my broiler by following his techniques for cooking steaks and seafood published in the Times earlier this year.

I also try to use whole grains in my home. I’ll make this dish using short-grain brown rice ( I get the organic in the bulk section at Mustard Seed) to better imitate the short-grain rice traditionally used in paella. I also love the characteristic nutty toothiness inherent to the sg brown rice. HRobb

Posted September 10, 2007 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Link to the Bittman article on broiling: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/31/dining/31mini.html?ex=1327899600&en=a2554c37622f0cdc&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
    -HRobb

Posted September 10, 2007 at 9:53 am | Permalink

thanks for the link

4. holly_44109
    Posted September 10, 2007 at 11:30 am | Permalink

wednesday chef also made this…

5. Allison M.
    Posted September 10, 2007 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

I made salsa this weekend…and that is a big step. Maybe I’ll try these recipes in a year’s time when I get my first food processor.

6. hot coffee girl
    Posted September 10, 2007 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Would be good for a dinner party, eh?

What time should I be there. Hee hee.

Posted September 11, 2007 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

I used risotto rice & it also took about 50 mins to cook. I think Bittman’s time is off.

Posted September 12, 2007 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Interesting. I thought it took mine longer b/c of the whole-grain rice but apparently that’s just how long it takes in general. Did you like it? I loved it – and it was even better the next morning!