better than being bernie kosar

When I was a kid, I wanted to be Bernie Kosar when I grew up. I was a tomboy and loved football (still do). It didn’t dawn on me until I was 10 or so that this could not be achieved. Once reality set in, I was determined to be a high school history teacher. I held on to this belief until I left for college and ultimately changed courses to journalism (with a specialization in public relations). While I love what I do for a living and am happy with the path I chose, I’ve often daydreamed about being a food critic, combining two things I’m pretty passionate about.

Realistically, that’s not going to happen so this blog has become my outlet of sorts. This blog has also afforded me the opportunity to start freelancing for Cleveland Magazine. In this month’s issue, I have my first three, albeit very brief and heavily edited, articles. But I don’t care – I was given the opportunity to do something I’ve always wanted to do and looks like they will let me play along for a while longer.

The three articles are in the comfort foods section, which came out really nice (lots of good things to try as the weather gets colder). I wrote about mama’s famous white sauce at Carrie Cerino’s, the pork chops at The Grill at Bainbridge Commons and apple pie at Mom’s Dinner.

1. Alexa
    Posted November 1, 2007 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Congratulations Michelle!

Funny that you say you wrote the Carrie Cerino’s piece for the magazine… I thought of your blog when I read it because you mention Carrie Cerino’s so often and speak so highly of it.

p.s. so have you met Bernie yet??

2. rockandroller
    Posted November 2, 2007 at 7:59 am | Permalink

I was once engaged to Bernie’s brother-in-law (his wife’s brother). 6 degrees of separation, right?

Posted November 2, 2007 at 10:08 am | Permalink

This piece for Cleveland Magazine is what made me go back to Carrie Cerino’s b/c the first time I went there I wasn’t crazy about it at all. But then I learned more about the place and what to order on the menu and found myself really digging the food – a lot.

No, I’ve never met him :)

4. Joanna M
    Posted November 2, 2007 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Michelle,

I actually have met Bernie Kosar – at a fundraiser. I bid on and won his autographed Browns jersey which I gave to my husband as a gift. Anyway, when I won, he thanked me for bidding on it and we had a photo taken together! He was really a nice guy.

5. Michael Walsh
    Posted November 4, 2007 at 1:10 am | Permalink

michelle, I’ve thought a for a few days about whether to leave this as a comment of as a personal e-mail, and i decided on as a comment. This way if i’m in the wrong i can be told so.

While your desire to be food critique may be near’er or farther than you think, you have become a dependable, reputable name in the foodie commnunity. To do this discussion justice we would have to define the term, “food critque” which i feel is very much different that someone with a blog posting there opinions on the food they where served at any such restaurant.

I think there are standards which every restaurant should reach, particulary cleanliness, and customer service issues.

secondly, every restaurant has it’s gimick, theme, or label it has assigned itself and for this reason it should be judged within it’s self chosen arena. for example, arbys does very nice fast food, it’s tastey, and fast, that is their goal. on the other hand, under another theam flannary’s does irish pub food, too braod menu, too much fried food, but ok, they dint’ hit their goal….that should be the dialoge for the food critique, did a restaurant meet it’s goal???

For the most part i enjoy hearing about your personal opinions, likes, and dislikes about restaurants because in the past we have agreed in alot of cases. But what i’ve come to see is that there are alot of people in the world who will take the opinion that if you don’t like something, and say you had such a thing at such a restaurant, then these people think that such a restarant is bad.

perhaps i’m just fussy, but to me there is a critique that says, “this resturant performed up to it’s expectation but not over.” and this is a resonsable, broadly read critique. on the other had there is the writer who posts, “i don’t like olives so the chicken dish was poor, and i don’t like fennel so the pork was bad, and i don’t like butter, so the butter sauce was horible” well this critique is only going to get a people who hate olives, fennel, and butter to read their next piece.

I add this as an experct blogger critique, so i know my shit!!!! lol, just my 2 cents, please come to my view from the kitchen and critique me, i would appreciate it since not much goes on there.

Posted November 5, 2007 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Thanks for the comment, Michael. And by the way, congrats on being on the cover of Clev Mag this month!

I hear what you’re saying and to be honest, I use the term lightly when I say food critic. This is nothing like being a real food critic. I’m just happy to write about food and use the term as a broad definition.