last-minute gift idea

For a holiday gift from a vendor, my husband received a box of mini chocolate bars from Vosges Haut-Chocolat last week. Normally, I’m not one to get excited about chocolate. I like it and all, but can go either way. This is an exception.

Each bar is filled with spices, flavors, ingredients – even flowers – from around the world. In this box of mini exotic bars we had a wide-range of flavors, including the Macha, with Macha green tea and deep milk chocolate; the Naga, with sweet Indian curry powder and cocunut flakes; the Oaxaca, with guajillo and pasilla chillies; and the Woolloomooloo, with roasted and salted macadamia nuts. The only one we didn’t care for was the mini Creole. Some spices just don’t blend well with cholocalte and this was one of them.

Each day we tried a new flavor. I was a bit surprised by just how much we enjoyed these chocolates. When I looked up the Web site, I realized we must have walked past their Chicago storefront a dozen times and never realized it. Now I’ll be sure to stop in next time. Based on the site, it looks like they offer a lot of fun goodies, in addition to the chocolates.

1. cp
    Posted December 18, 2007 at 9:46 am | Permalink

So funny you mention this because my boss received a small box from a client as well. My boss, and also most of the people I work with, are not chocolate connoisseurs (a.k.a., Kit Kat bars suffice) so I got to try a couple. I was so impressed! I’m definitely bookmarking this site.

Posted December 18, 2007 at 10:19 am | Permalink

IMO, Vosges chocolates are overrated – hard shells, dusty tasting and not well integrated spices. I’ve tried hard to like them since the combinations of flavors always sound curiously intriguing. The owner has tremendous marketing skills – she reels me in and then I’m left wondering what it was I missed. Kind of like the Jones Soda people My favorite mail-order chocolate confections these days are Valerie Confections and V Chocolates. Both have gorgeous packaging to boot. hrobb

Posted December 18, 2007 at 11:12 am | Permalink

hrobb – interesting feedback. Aside from the one, I thought they were pretty tasty, and something I would definitely order in the future. Thanks for sharing the other chocolates.

Posted December 18, 2007 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Yoga and Vosges- could it be the shortest path to a transcendental experience? As I was leaving my class at Evolution Yoga tonight I noticed these workshops advertised at the front desk: https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/home.asp

Hmmm…think they’ll be practising headstand in the Yoga & Wine class?
    hrobb

Posted December 19, 2007 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Sorry, link did not copy properly; try this and click on the “Yeah Dave Yoga” (very fun class with great tunes) with David Romanelli portion for more info.
    hrobb

6. Christine
    Posted December 19, 2007 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

I have to recommend the Vosges drinking chocolates – my mom is very hard to please and she enjoyed the Parisienne immensely.

7. saharab
    Posted March 5, 2008 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

I am not a chocolate fan but I love Vosges. Most of the candy that come in our house is given to our kids but these are always hidden away and enjoyed after they are in bed. A good glass of wine and one of those truffles… lovely.

BTW we all must be clients of the same vendor since that is how we found out about them as well.