peppermint thai cuisine

We didn’t accomplish much this past weekend accept visit my dad, who is happily recuperating successfully at home, and check out Peppermint for an early dinner. And even though we ate early, around 6 p.m., the place was pretty crowded. Apparently we weren’t the only ones happy to have Mint’s second location finally open on Lander Circle.

Peppermint’s decor is pretty simple – clean and basic. It sort of reminds me of Phnom Penh (the W 25th location) – no frills, but still nice. The service was good, too. A little slow on the water refills, and apparently clueless about the wine list, but otherwise quick and friendly and the food was delivered fast – maybe even too fast.

For an appetizer, we split the shumai. These tater tot-looking mini dumplings were fried with shrimp and vegetables and served with ginger soy sauce. Although quite tasty, they were a bit on the small side – even for an appetizer. For one person it would be ideal, but since we usually split an appetizer we’ll try something different next time.

For dinner, we both had the Pad Thai, although Jamie went with the spicier country style version. Part of me didn’t want to order this and try something new, like the tamarind duck or scallop eggplant. But it’s been a while since I’ve had my favorite comfort food and couldn’t resist. After one bite I was sold – it’s just as good as I remember (maybe even better since it’s so close to home!). To me, this is the best Pad Thai in town, although Lemon Grass is a close second and I do enjoy Phnom Penh’s non-traditional version.

Overall, everything was delicious. And from the looks of the happy customers around us, they were just as happy. Welcome to the neighborhood, Peppermint. We’ll be regulars for sure.

Peppermint: 216 464 5432

1. Mark
    Posted December 20, 2007 at 7:27 am | Permalink

Did you have any issues with the staff not being able to speak English? When my wife and I went there were a number of times when we’d ask for something and the waiter would have to call someone over to translate. Didn’t seem like a very effective system. Certainly authentic though.

Glad you enjoyed Peppermint. Its a great restaurant that is here to stay.

Posted December 20, 2007 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Which restaurant are you referring to? We’ve never experienced that at any of the ones I referenced above.

3. Mark
    Posted December 20, 2007 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Peppermint. We went between lunch and dinner on a Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago. It happened 3 or 4 times. I thought it was quite odd.

4. BS Blogger
    Posted July 25, 2008 at 2:37 am | Permalink

I had a HORRIBLE experience at Lemon Grass! Uuuggghhhhhh – to put it nicely I found several hairs in my food and I will never go back there.

PLEASE look at your food carefully if you decide to go back!

Posted July 31, 2008 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Worst experience EVER

We went to the place to celebrate an occasion. Food was OK but the service was worst. There were multiple people taking orders, they served too fast like a fast food place and on top the they didn’t even ask her how the food was. when the bill came, we added 10% tip and got ready to leave. At the door the owner stops us and ask “you only tipped 10%, they expect you to tip 18%”. We asked her either they should include in the bill or put it in the menu and the owner acted smart and said yeah we do include mention in the menu and showed 18% on the menu, we did paid the extra $6 and left. When I looked at the menu it says ” Large parties of 6 or more are subjected to an 18% included gratuity” HOW CHEAP!!!

Posted July 31, 2008 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Worst Customer Service Ever.

I had the same experience with the tips. I went with 4 of my friends for lunch and they shamelessly added 18% gratuity. I just didn’t bother to ask. Next time when I went with my family, I ordered Mango curry with rice for my husband and forgot to tell vegetarian since he is doesn’t eat meat… so, when the food came with chicken and shrimp in the mango curry, i told i’m sorry i forgot to mention, he is a vegetarian… so this lady there almost screams at us and says…. “you said mango curry and not veg mango curry… but its ok this time” in a loud irritating voice… i just felt like leaving the place but didn’t want to spoil my husband’s mood as it was his birthday… then they got us the mango curry and it was the hottest ever. We eat quite hot food and we just couldn’t keep this curry in our mouth. We had also ordered a fried rice which was good but i thought they purposefully made the mango curry hot to take revenge???? the food may be OK there… so it doesn’t mean that they should have such bad customer service… they lost a customer right there… and may be all my other friends too…

Posted August 31, 2008 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

It’s cheap skates like you that give customers a bad name. What’s 18% these days? A GOOD tip is usually 20% Plus, what were you expecting when you said no meat AFTER they prepared the food, that they bring the rejected food back to the kitchen and dump it on SOMEONE else?

Which is what they probably did. Did you stop to think about their other poor customer who wound up with your rejects?

So they lost you as a customer and your friends…it’s cheapies like you who don’t need to go to this wonderful restaurant.

Just means more seats for the rest of us.

8. Liz Thomas
    Posted October 21, 2008 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

We were taken here last month by a local friend who spent some time living in Thailand and is hence a little picky about his Thai food. This is hands down the best Thai food I’ve ever had in Cleveland.

We started out with some appetizers. Golden bags with plum sauce, which were delicious and well presented, which while plainer in appearance was also scrumptious, and a big hit with my 12 year old. He chose vegetables tempura with sweet and sour sauce. While not nearly a traditional Thai dish, it was still quite tasty for the tempura. I chose the chicken satay with peanut sauce – and the accompanying peanut sauce was some of the nicest I’ve ever tried.

For the main course I had an excellent mango curry with a healthy brown rice. My son got a crazy noodle; the taste was outstanding especially if you like pan noodle. My husband had a chili duck with vegetables that we all tried a bite of and declared to be delicious. (They say, it’s the best seller in the restaurant ever) Oh well – who knew duck could be so yummy!!! My friend ordered Pad Thai Country Style. He said it was an authentic ethnic Thai dish.

For dessert we all shared a type of mango with sticky rice served with thickened coconut milk and slices of fresh mango, yummy chocolate banana spring rolls, a deep fried ice cream and the most wonderfully refreshing coconut milk ice cream. (A must have if you visit!)

The bill for four of us came to about $90. Considering we each had full meals as well as some appetizers and desserts – plus we brought food home! I considered that to be a very fair price for the quality (and quantity) of food and great service we received.

Better make reservation to cut the waiting time off, they always crowded almost every nights. Our family becomes the member of the restaurant every weekend. They have such a diverse Menu with endless choices, you could eat here everyday for Months and not get tired.

Overall I would highly recommend Peppermint Thai to anyone who loves adventurous and unique eating experiences.

9. Peter T.
    Posted October 21, 2008 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Nothing wrong with the customer service, I rather say they are very good and a friendly teamwork service. I’d read some restaurant reviews before I went here. I was wasting my time for listening to them. I assumed that they might have a bad day, so could they give a restaurant a bad name. The waiter pays attention to take my orders. I would say if you got something wrong, it because you didn’t know the ingredient or you didn’t read through items on the menu. You’d ordered Mango curry, what you expected the vegetarian one!! In 2008, what do you think?? Most of the customer tips 18-20%, if you want to tip less than that it because of your attitude not cause of all the service things. I’m a fair educated customer; do not give me a bad smell by your cheap. If I get want I want, I will pay what I have to pay. They have an excellent Thai food and very fast and sweet service. There is only one waiter to take you order but after that you can ask every waiter around your table to get something else, in others big restaurant I had to wait my waiter for a long to get my water fill and some more sauce.