wine bars

For the January issue of Cleveland Magazine, I wrote a brief article highlighting some of the area’s wine bars. Included in the roundup were: 806 Bistro, 87 West, North End, Royal Vine and The Fairmount Wine Bar. The article briefly touches on each bar’s atmosphere, food offerings and pairing suggestions.

If you’re a wine drinker, we’re fortunate in that we have a pretty decent selection of places to check out regardless of your location. If space and word count weren’t an issue, the article could have easily covered much more – including other wine bars worthy of a visit. On that list would be Market Avenue Wine Bar, La Cave du Vin, Bar Ceno, The Wine Bar and The Wine Room. Of all the wine bars, I’d have to say Market Avenue is perhaps my favorite, although 87 West and 806 would be up there – both for the patios. And while it’s technically not a wine bar, sitting on the patio at Baricelli with a glass of wine and cheese plate tops my list of favorite things to do in the summer. Wine and atmosphere aside, this is the best place to go if you love cheese.

1. DT
    Posted January 13, 2008 at 1:25 am | Permalink

Wine Room is closed for renovations; will be a new lounge and restaurant soon.

2. dr von drinkensnorten
    Posted January 13, 2008 at 6:28 am | Permalink

i’d call it la cave du bier, and it has the best bier selection i’ve seen, including in that list san francisco’s toronado and new york’s DBA.

that said, the service can be glacial — through no fault of the servers — because of the table-service format. but its still my favorite wine bar in the world.

3. Heidi
    Posted January 13, 2008 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Can you provide a link to your wine bar article?

Posted January 13, 2008 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately, I can’t link to the article – Cleveland Mag didn’t put it on their site. I thought they were going to so they could include some of the extra info I originally included, like wine tastings, specials, classes, etc. but I couldn’t find anything.

Didn’t realize that about Wine Room – looking forward to the reopening. I always liked that bar because they went non smoking long before they had to. I spent a lot of time between this bar and La Cave du Vin when I lived in Cleveland Heights (and yes, they have a great beer list, too!).

5. Alexa
    Posted January 14, 2008 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

i love the wine bar in rocky river. they have my favorite bottle of wine, jaffurs syrah. i make my cousin (pat obriens order it for me i love it so much)

the place has really great food too. my only complaint is that it is has been so crowded every time i’ve been there. but i guess there could be worse things for an owner to have to deal with! i can’t wait to try the patio when it is warm out.

Posted January 14, 2008 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

That’s so funny you mentioned Jaffurs – that’s one of my favorite, too. I can’t remember where we were first introduced to it, maybe Flying Fig??? Anyway, we stock up on it regularly at Miles Market or Cuffs. Good to know Pat carries it as well.

7. Alexa
    Posted January 16, 2008 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

i became a fan of jaffurs from parallax. i love it! my friends and i randomly ordered it one night. we loved it so much we went back the next week for more wine and food! ha.

unfortunately pat’s doesn’t stock it regularly. my cousin had to special order it for me. it was in the store within a few days.

Posted January 29, 2008 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Any suggestions for good places to buy wine in the Cleveland area?

Posted January 30, 2008 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Yeah, check out Bar Cento and Market Ave. Both sell wine at retail prices, and some below state minimum – I think. Constantino’s also has a decent selection – not great but good enough if you’re in a pinch. .

Posted February 28, 2008 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Heidi – I just added a jpeg of the article, so if you click on it you should be able to see it.