For the most part, I try to follow a healthy diet with lots of whole grains, fruits and vegetables 80 percent of the time, leaving 20 percent (typically weekend dinners) for some indulgence. Well, I think I blew all 20 percent (and then some) on our dinner at Melt on Saturday – and it was well worth it.
Melt has been on my must-dine list for quite some time. And since we were heading to The Pub in Rocky River for a friend’s birthday, this provided the perfect opportunity.
Since the restaurant doesn’t take reservations, and the space overall is small (although they will soon be expanding), we waited about an hour for a table of five. The space is more bar than restaurant but it works, especially in that neighborhood. I especially liked the ornate tin ceiling, stain glass window with utensils, quirky decorative items and especially the album covers for menus – I had Andy Gibb. This reminded me of my sister’s bedroom growing up because she used to have that same album cover displayed on her wall right below Michael Stanley and Bruce Springsteen.
For dinner, I had the Wake & Bacon with fried egg, bacon and American cheese. Jamie had the appropriately named Parmageddon, with a potato and cheese pierogie, fresh Napa vodka kraut, onions and cheddar cheese. We swapped a half so we could each try another version.
The sandwiches are enormous, extremely filling and somewhat difficult to eat – but absolutely delicious. I especially enjoyed my sandwich and was craving it the next day. I don’t know how they did it, but it really doesn’t taste like your typical bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. Jamie’s wasn’t bad, but I liked mine much better. By the time I got to his half, I was already full and ended up dissecting the sandwich (it’s almost too much bread) and just ate the pierogie, which was really good. Each sandwich also came with a large side of fries. I only managed to try a few, but they were tasty as well.
Overall, Melt did not disappoint and lived up to its reputation. I will gladly go back, but most likely for lunch or if I know we’re going right home after. Otherwise you’re too full (and feel a bit too greasy as well) to do anything else.