melt

For the most part, I try to follow a healthy diet with lots of whole grains, fruits and vegetables 80 percent of the time, leaving 20 percent (typically weekend dinners) for some indulgence. Well, I think I blew all 20 percent (and then some) on our dinner at Melt on Saturday – and it was well worth it.

Melt has been on my must-dine list for quite some time. And since we were heading to The Pub in Rocky River for a friend’s birthday, this provided the perfect opportunity.

Since the restaurant doesn’t take reservations, and the space overall is small (although they will soon be expanding), we waited about an hour for a table of five. The space is more bar than restaurant but it works, especially in that neighborhood. I especially liked the ornate tin ceiling, stain glass window with utensils, quirky decorative items and especially the album covers for menus – I had Andy Gibb. This reminded me of my sister’s bedroom growing up because she used to have that same album cover displayed on her wall right below Michael Stanley and Bruce Springsteen.

For dinner, I had the Wake & Bacon with fried egg, bacon and American cheese. Jamie had the appropriately named Parmageddon, with a potato and cheese pierogie, fresh Napa vodka kraut, onions and cheddar cheese. We swapped a half so we could each try another version.

The sandwiches are enormous, extremely filling and somewhat difficult to eat – but absolutely delicious. I especially enjoyed my sandwich and was craving it the next day. I don’t know how they did it, but it really doesn’t taste like your typical bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. Jamie’s wasn’t bad, but I liked mine much better. By the time I got to his half, I was already full and ended up dissecting the sandwich (it’s almost too much bread) and just ate the pierogie, which was really good. Each sandwich also came with a large side of fries. I only managed to try a few, but they were tasty as well.

Overall, Melt did not disappoint and lived up to its reputation. I will gladly go back, but most likely for lunch or if I know we’re going right home after. Otherwise you’re too full (and feel a bit too greasy as well) to do anything else.

1. rockandroller
    Posted February 18, 2008 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

I’m glad you were able to make the time to wait there. The wake & bacon is my fave sandwich in all of Cleveland. FYI, they are not moving. They have purchased additional adjacent space and are going to be expanding into it so that the restaurant will add tables and the server’s area will be expanded as well.

Posted February 18, 2008 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

i agree with going home afterwards. the sandwiches are great and you want to stop eating but you can’t! we’ve started just splitting a sandwich and soup and drinking some good beer. I think melt, beer engine and tap house have the best beer lists. Matt

Posted February 18, 2008 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Rockandroller – thanks for clarifying the news on the expansion.

Matt – yeah, from now on it’s one sandwich for two. The soup that night was an herb mushroom, which I really wanted to try, but was warned to not even attempt and save room for the main course. Tap House is also on my list!

4. David Lay
    Posted February 18, 2008 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

I LOVE Melt. I’m so glad they’re expanding!

5. Michael Walsh
    Posted February 18, 2008 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

I think Melt is an awsome place. It’s the kinda place you think to yourself??? how did they come up with this idea? Then you remember that time in college when you took one too many bong hits! but they actually came through with the idea and it works…great!

Even for a big man the sandwiches demand a nap. I usually plan on taking half home when i walk in the door. Plenty of parking in the back, and if they are disappointedly full, Pacers on the next block isn’t all that bad for bar food.

Posted February 19, 2008 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

melt is fabulous. it’s a shame you didn’t try the fried twinkies, though. a friend and I went there for the first time, and when we saw it on the menu, we decided we would save room for dessert (which you HAVE to do at melt, because, like you said, it’s all too easy to leave there stuffed to the gills). neither of us had ever had fried twinkies before, and we were doubtful — but they were delicious! light, fluffy, fried goodness. and they’re served with strawberry sauce on the side, so that you can convince yourself that you’re actually having fruit for dessert. surprisingly yummy — and this is coming from someone who doesn’t like regular twinkies!

Posted February 20, 2008 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Hi everybody-

I’m new to this site but it seems like a great place to learn more about the hidden gems of Cleveland. Where is Tap House located and does it have a website or something?

Posted February 20, 2008 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Tap House is in Tremont. I didn’t see a site but the number is 216 298 4451. I have yet to go, but have heard a lot of positive raves.

9. Amy G
    Posted February 20, 2008 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Imagine how dangerous Melt is when you live about a mile away! Hint for next time: Order the veggie of the day instead of fries (about $2 charge) and you just might convince yourself that you are eating healthy.

Michelle, Tremont TapHouse is fabulous!! I have been there about 4 times and could honestly visit weekly. Their beer selection is outstanding and the food is even better. They plan to open for lunch in the spring with a patio for al fresco dining. Can’t wait!

Posted February 20, 2008 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Amy – that’s right, you live close by. You could start a side business by bringing in those sandwiches here and selling them! Good tip on the veggies.

Yeah, sounds like I really need to get to Tap House – soon!

Posted February 24, 2008 at 11:49 am | Permalink

That wasn’t our experience. When we went, the atmosphere was grungy, the employees appeared more concerned about their tatoos than the customers, and the highly touted selection of cheeses was not all that comprehensive. The waitress “lost” our order (try carrying a notepad next time) and we were stuck there so long, we didn’t make it to our next appointment.

Posted February 25, 2008 at 10:48 am | Permalink

That’s too bad you had such a lousy experience. It’s unfortunate because sometimes, all it takes is one small thing to turn people away. I’ve only been there once so far so I’m not such if service is a problem or not. I will say that when we were there, aside from the wait, which we knew about, everything else was great. Although I will say I was dissapointed that brie wasn’t one of the cheese selections. I bet a grilled brie with apples would do really well.