metropolitan market

I can’t cook fish. With the exception of fish tacos and the occasional grilled swordfish, all my attempts at making fish have the same ending: a few bites followed by a sympathetic glance from my husband then both of us tossing the remnants of dinner in the trash.

I love to cook and try to cook most weeknights. Just last night we made pork chops with a seven-spice rub and apricot glaze with lentils. I’ll pretty much attempt to cook anything but when it comes to fish, I have basically given up.

This is where Metropolitan Market, located off Lander Circle in Pepper Pike, comes in. It’s a small gourmet market owned by a chef that sells a lot of frozen prepared foods ranging from soups to fish to appetizers to pastas plus a decent selection of fresh seafood and meat. I normally don’t buy prepared food, but since we both like fish and want it as part of our regular diet, this is one area I have made an exception.

They offer about 10 or so fish varieties. Our favorites are the macadamia crusted mahi mahi with ginger and tortilla crusted tilapia with chipotle and lime. Both are full of flavor, pretty healthy and reasonably priced. And I have to admit, it has been nice to come home from a long day at work and my only responsibility is putting together a side of sorts. Growing up, my mom never served us anything she didn’t make herself and I try to follow that lead. But after having a small taste of the prepared foods lifestyle, I can totally see why people rely on this as a means of supper.

On my last visit, I was telling the woman who works there about my fish dilemma and asking her if there will be any new fish options since I’m sure we’ll eventually grow tired with the selection. She said yes, but was more excited about teaching me how to cook fish. She said I am probably making it more complicated then it really is and she’d provide me with a bunch of simple recipes on my next visit. I then looked at all the varieties of fresh fish they offer, and agreed to give it another shot – especially if they will provide me with some step-by-step assistance. If it ends up being another disaster, at least I know I have options to fall back on.

1. russ
    Posted February 8, 2008 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

That place is awesome — I just stumbled upon it after visiting Pat O’Brien’s, a nice little wine/liquor store right next door. Put the two together and you’ve got something as good or better than Trader Joe’s (maybe a bit more expensive, but since it’s local and fresh it has to edge them out).

The crappy thing it that it’s really close to TJ’s — you really should send one of them down to us in Ohio City.

Not fair.

Posted February 9, 2008 at 3:54 am | Permalink

Michelle–come over to Lakewood one monday night and I’ll teach you how to cook seafood. Matt

Posted February 9, 2008 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Does Northern Haserot Food Service mean anything?

4. Michael Walsh
    Posted February 10, 2008 at 1:40 am | Permalink

cooking fish is the easy part. finding quality fish for the home kitchen is the hard part. cooking fish is easy, any of us will teach you.

Posted February 11, 2008 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Russ – Not sure if I would compare it to Trader Joe’s, but we are very lucky to have both near each other. And you’re right, that’s a great wine shop, too.

Matt – Thanks for the offer! Hey, we ate at Lolita last night before the game (it was fantastic) and were also there a few weeks ago – where have you been? Hope you are enjoying fatherhood!

Michael – I think there are a lot of great fish places around me. Between Miles Market, Whole Foods and Met Market, I think the quality is there. I guess I just have to keep working at it.

Posted February 11, 2008 at 11:13 am | Permalink

I’ve never heard of Haserot Food Service – what is it?

7. Heidi
    Posted February 11, 2008 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I believe Metro Market is owned by Northern Haserot Food Service. I don’t understand why the poster was cryptic about it.

Posted February 13, 2008 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Ok – I stand corrected. Met Market is owned by Haserot Food Service. I stopped in last night on our way to Heinen’s. The women working clarified that they are owned by Haserot and have a chef on staff, which is different then what I have been told in the past – that they are owned by a chef. In fact, they always refer to the owner as “he” – “he” gets the best quality, “he” made that this morning, “he” has been wanting to open something like this, etc. So I never thought to question that it wasn’t owned by a chef. But, I was wrong and should have looked into this a bit more before I posted about it. At any rate, Haserot owns the store and according the woman last night, they sell to the Ritz and a lot of the independents in town but no chains. And the chef is usually there in case people have cooking questions or need help preparing dinner, large parties, etc.

9. Metropolitan Market
    Posted February 21, 2008 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Hello Michelle,
    Thank you for your recent article about Metropolitan Market. I wanted to take this time to write you and explain our market in more detail.
    Metropolitan Market was founded in 2003 with an owner and staff who are passionate about food. We offer only USDA prime, choice, and angus beef-all aged for minimun of 28 days for the ultimate in flavor and tenderness. Plume formula veal, prime and choice lamb, number one graded pork and all natural chicken products are also available.
    Our parent company has a seafood plant and our fish is received daily and is always fresh never frozen. Looking for that special fish? Our catch of the day program allows you to place an order by 2:00 and receive your special fish within 24 to 48 hours.
    All of our meat and seafood arrive cut to exact standards and sizes. All of our frozen prepared foods are restaurant quality and are items often seen at country clubs, fine restaurants, hotels, and private dinner parties.
    We have an expansive selection of frozen products, including appetizers, soups, pastas, vegetables, main course entrees, breads and desserts. These items are easy to prepate and many are cooked from frozen- 25 minutes from freezer to the table!
    Our staff is helpful and can provide cooking instructions, recipes and suggestions to make your dinning and entertainning pleasurable.
    Thank you again and we look foward to seeing you soon.

Posted February 21, 2008 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks for taking the time to post. You mentioned an owner and then a parent company. Can you explain who actually owns you and provide some more info on your parent company, Haserot? This might help clarify things. Thanks.