the best sandwiches in america

By way of Crain’s, I came across this article in Esquire featuring the best sandwiches (sans burgers) in America. And wouldn’t you know it, three of the best-sliced bread treats can be found right here. There is also a recipe from Michael Symon for the ultimate breakfast sandwich. And I’m also happy to report that another favorite is from Salumi in Seattle. I can vouch – the porchetta is heavenly.

The Cleveland nods go to:

1. Trailer Park Monte Cristo / Beachland Ballroom
2. Corned Beef / Slyman’s
3. Polish Boy / Freddie’s Rib House

Now having what I would call the best sandwich in Cleveland at Melt, I have no doubts they will find a rightfuly earned place on next year’s list.

1. rockandroller
    Posted February 20, 2008 at 10:06 am | Permalink

I have eaten the polish boy at Freddie’s. I can’t believe it made this list.

I wish MS would put his sandwich on the lunch menu at Lola, I’d eat there every week :)

Posted February 20, 2008 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

My wife and I shared a gyro at the W Side market. Sharing food is something I rarely do (my metabolism is that of a migrating sea otter), but it was the best gyro I have eaten in my 34 years. Look for the article from “Maxim” promoting their gyro.
    -Sean Kelly
    Seattle WA (by way of North Olmsted)

Posted February 21, 2008 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Sean – thanks for commenting. Do you recall where in the market you had the gyro? And since I’m not an avid Maxim reader – ha, when is the article coming out?

Ah – Seattle, my other favorite city. I was just there for the first time this past October and loved every minute of it and can’t wait to go back, hopefully in the fall.

4. russ
    Posted February 21, 2008 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Steve’s Gyros is the only place in town for some deliciously greasy lamb meat.

For a new taste check out the Falafel at Maha’s, and for an old one have a brat at Frank’s.

The complete map is clickable.

Posted February 21, 2008 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

I agree – love Frank’s. Thanks for posting the links.

6. dr von drinkensnorten
    Posted February 22, 2008 at 5:47 am | Permalink

I always had a soft spot in my heart for the Chicken Whoppee at Diane’s on Detroit. Or maybe it was a hard piece of plaque. That sandwich is a heart stopper, that’s what I’m trying to say.

7. Mark
    Posted February 23, 2008 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

I saw that list too, but I found myself suspect of the entries. Obviously there are some top notch sandwiches listed, but there is also the McRib. Too bad they didn’t take the time to develop a list based on a consensus.

Posted February 23, 2008 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Hey Mark – Congrats on your nod in Cleveland Mag! Yeah, not sure why McDonald’s was included, but who cares – Cleveland continues to receive great national press!

Posted March 23, 2008 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Has anyone tried Old World Deli’s gyros in Brunswick?