chocolate chip cookies

I’m a much better cook than I am a baker; however, there are two things I can bake rather well (aside from the occasional screw-up of too much anise or forgetting to set the timer): my grandma’s pizzelle’s and chocolate chip cookies.

I remember being home sick one day from school, maybe 7th grade, and Mr. Food was on Morning Exchange. He was making chocolate chip cookies that sounded so good, I wrote down the recipe. I’ve been making them ever since – and being snowed in this weekend, we made plenty. The only modification is now I make them with soy butter, whole-wheat flour and Splenda.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 c butter
2 c flour (use a little less than 2 full cups)
2 1/2 c oatmeal
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 eggs
1 t vanilla

Bake at 400 for 8 – 10 minutes. Enjoy.

1. poo poo
    Posted March 10, 2008 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

So how much Splenda? And in leiu of both white and brown sugar or just white? Is the amount of soy butter the same?
    Sorry, I love me some chocolate chip cookies and want to get it right!

Posted March 10, 2008 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

I can appreciate that! They sell Splenda for baking – both white and brown sugar. Make sure you get the baking version. You use 1/2 the amount when using Splenda. So, one cup real sugar, or 1/2 cup splenda for baking white/brown. The soy butter is the same as its real counterpart. I’ll warn you though, sometimes they taste great w/ soy, others not so much. I’ve found that Willow Run butter works pretty good, but sometimes I just stick witht he splends, whole wheat flour and just use regular butter. I mean, they are cookies after all!

3. Ben
    Posted March 10, 2008 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Oh – Mr. Food! Awesome! And you used his line here ‘Ohhh….it’s sooo good.’

Nice.

I’m going to try these cookies. The last time I baked was for the Akhia cookie exchange. Mine were terrible. And I mean terrible. I’ll keep you posted. I’m usually too busy cooking up a tasty burger.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

4. Fiber
    Posted March 11, 2008 at 8:59 am | Permalink

I’m with you – I’m a much better cook than a baker. I think it’s the necessary adherence to measurements for baking that keeps me away from it.
    However, cookies are always fun to make. I’ll have to give this recipe a try.

Posted December 15, 2008 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

i’m a baker and i’ve recently overcome a soy kick. no offense, but why would anybody use splenda or soy butter instead of the real deal? not only is there a great deal of research on the negative effects of splenda, but when you purchase soy butter, you’re purchasing a highly processed product that travels hundreds of miles to get to your fridge. support your local dairy farmers!

love the whole wheat flour though

Posted December 16, 2008 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Interesting point on the soy, I hadn’t thought of that. I do use sugar, but because there are several diabetics in my family, I’ve become used to things like Splenda. I know there is negative press on Splenda, but at least it has sugar in it and many docs say it’s the best of the bunch.