tremont tap house

After hearing coworkers and others rave about the Tremont Tap House, we finally got around to checking it out first-hand this week.

If you haven’t been, the Tap House considers itself to be Cleveland’s first gastropub. They feature a very distinctive beer list, as you might suspect, as well as a menu that boasts everything from gourmet soft pretzels to scallops, all reasonably priced while using locally grown ingredients wherever possible. The inside is long and narrow with an equally long bar and lots of exposed brick. Good music offering as well (Modest Mouse, OK Go, etc.). My favorite feature, however, were the tabletops. Each one features a design from a local artist. Our table was created by Scott Radke, who is a well-know artist throughout Tremont.

Jamie started with a Brooklyn Brown, although I ended up drinking half (I’m notorious for eating/drinking whatever he gets – I think it’s cute, him not so much). Then we split the #1 pretzel with a smoked cheddar stout dipping sauce. For dinner, I had the cheese soup, also with smoked cheddar and winter white ale, and the strong ale braised short rib sliders. Jamie went with the egg burger with Swiss and caramelized onions.

Everything we had was very enjoyable. The large and fluffy pretzel came out piping hot, with very little salt (which I prefer). The dipping sauce was creamy and definitely rich with cheddar flavor – a great way to start things off. My soup, with crunchy pretzel croutons, was also good, although served a bit cold. I liked it though and would get it again. The two mini sliders were served with house slaw on mini buns, although I omitted half of the buns. I figured I’d also end up taking the cabbage off as well but ended up really liking the entire arrangement. It added an additional layer of unexpected flavor to the short ribs. As for the nice-sized burger, Jamie enjoyed it very much. Although, if it has an egg on it, it’s pretty much a guarantee he’ll love it.

We definitely plan to go back. There are other items we want to try and it’s nice to have another option close to home (only took us 20 mins from the east side) that serves great food in a cool, relaxed environment.

1. russ
    Posted March 28, 2008 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

I went to the Tap House this week as well. Glad to hear a review of a few items I haven’t tried yet. The soup and sliders will have to be next on my list.

Posted March 28, 2008 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I’m glad we finally got to check it out. It was between that and The Reddhouse. I’ve heard the Reddhouse has pretty tasty wings so we decided to wait and go there one Tuesday night.

3. BloggingJason
    Posted March 29, 2008 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

The Reddhouse? If you mean The Reddstone, then for the love of everything holy, don’t go. It’s a place I really wanted to like, but each time I went it got worse, to the point now that I refuse to go there. They have serious issues that need to be addressed.

The Tap House, however, is amazing. Enjoyed every trip I’ve made there. Try the chorizo, boursin, and scallion pizza. I could order it everytime.

4. kyleroth
    Posted March 29, 2008 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Looks like a good spot for our last night out for Spring Break ’08 (the kids are at Grandma and Grandpa’s).

Posted March 30, 2008 at 4:25 am | Permalink

I’ve been to Reddstone a couple of times now and have loved it. The bartender is cute, music good, food good and have always had good company. It’s an affordable place that I have no problem ever thinking twice about. Matt

Posted March 30, 2008 at 8:23 am | Permalink

Yes – Reddstone, that’s what I meant. It’s the old Snicker’s, right? I’m notorious for always mixing up words :)

Thanks for sharing the feedback, both good and bad. I still want to check it out – everything that I have heard has actually been pretty positive.

Kyle, hope you enjoyed your last night of break!

7. russ
    Posted March 30, 2008 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

If you think of Reddstone as a cool bar rather than a funky restaurant you’ll be happy. Last couple times I was there they were low on wine options but I think they’re getting it together.

Posted March 31, 2008 at 11:11 am | Permalink

My husband loved wings and that’s the one thing I hear pretty good raves about, so we’ll probably go for wing night sometime soon.

Posted July 28, 2008 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Went to the Tremont Tap House based on your review and we hated it. #1 – the service was horrible!Our server acted as though we were an annoying inconvenience to her and there were moments when she was dangerously close to rude. #2 – the happy hour is not happy at all. They only offer discounted prices on draft beer and shots. Plus, the pretzle you raved about was mediocre at best and the dipping sauce was flavorless, cold, and lumpy. Very disappointing. Additionally, the tap house burger was overwhelmingly salty and the fries were terrible. Our friend did have the salmon BLT and she said it was decent so maybe the burger’s just not the thing to get? Regardless, none of us were impressed by the food.
    #3 – they have no wine license. I know it’s a tap house and beer’s the feature but even beer drinkers enjoy a glass of wine or two on occasion.
    If I’m asked about this place, I plan to encourage people to not go. Normally I agree with your reviews but I just couldn’t this time. Sorry!

Posted July 28, 2008 at 11:13 am | Permalink

After reading all of the great reviews we decided to give the Tap House a try with some friends. Our experience wasn’t great. On the positive side our appetizers and beer were delicious. We too tried the pretzels, the calamari and the sliders all of which were warm at tasty. But that ends the good things. We sat outside on the beautiful patio, which had a horrible aroma of garbage wafting through the entire time. A few other tables up and left because of the odor. Our service was horrible, mind you we did have a party of 10. 5 out of the 10 meals were right. The food came out in shifts. The Seared Tuna came out looking like overcooked pork. Our server was nice, but definately not on top of things. I don’t think we will be going back.

Posted July 28, 2008 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Sorry you guys had a bad experience. I was only there once, but I did enjoy it – especially the pretzel! I hope it was just a fluke, because it really was good.

Posted August 10, 2008 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

I would have to agree with the previous comments about the service. Our waitress was rude and outright ignored us. What a shame, I don’t think she smiled once!

13. CHRIS
    Posted August 27, 2008 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

In Reference to the Tap House, Very unfortunate that your service was poor, we apologize and have addressed this issue, further the issue with the dumpster has been address as well and the patio no longer smells of garbage. To the lack of a wine license, sorry not our fault we would have one if we could get one so if anyone out there knows of one for sale let us know, we want to buy one.
    It is our goal at the Tap House to give the best service possible and put out the best product possible, if we have failed we apologize, it is not the norm and we encourage you to give it a second chance.

Posted August 28, 2008 at 11:35 am | Permalink

We were there for a going away party with a group of about 12 and they were not accomadating at all. They would not split a check to help us out, they wouldn’t seat us on the patio because our group was too big, the server was very rude, she acted as if we were stupid if we asked her to reccomend a beer! The bartender was also rude, and short if you asked him a question. I will never go back!

Posted August 30, 2008 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

I must say I am very surprised by the negative postings about the Tremont Tap House. I have been there dozens of times and have always had a good experience. It’s amazing that people can let a single dinner dictate their overall opinion of a restaurant. I always recommend the Tap House, and have never received anything but thanks for turning them on to a new great restaurant. I won’t say that they didn’t have a good time there, but sometimes things don’t go as planned, and every restaurant has a bad day. Almost every negative feed back here is from the same date which leads me to believe it was just a bad day. By no means is the Tap House a bad restaurant, it’s actually in my top 3 restaurants. I hope all of you will try it for yourselves and you will see this is a great place.

16. J
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 3:25 am | Permalink

The Tremont Tap house is such a great place. The food is amazing; the beer selection is kick ASS; the staff is always laid back (when they are not insanely slammed) and entertaining. If you cant relax and have fun there, you can’t relax and have fun. You should probably stick to the Suburbs and go to Brio or Bravo, maybe Blakes or Hyde Park (if your extra boring.)

fun
    noun

I joined in with the fun | did you have fun?

enjoyment, entertainment, amusement, pleasure; jollification, merrymaking; recreation, diversion, leisure, relaxation; a good time, a great time; informal R and R (rest and recreation), a ball. antonym boredom.

Posted October 21, 2008 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Tremont Tap is a breath of fresh air in a society amass with chains eateries. The menu has flare and the food is fabulous. I struggled with the beer list only because I was overjoyed to see one of my favorite hard-to-find beers and that conflicted with my wanting to try something new. A happy predicament indeed. This is not a wine bar or a burger joint. If you are looking for a happy meal, stick to McDonald’s.

Posted July 17, 2009 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

I go there LOTS and brought lots of people. The portions get smaller; the price gets higher. The food less quality/fresh than it used to be. The service less wonderful. The beer is good. I know the bartenders so they are nice/laid back with me. Have had problems splitting the bill. Get overcharged sometimes and have to adjust the bill (some weird bread charge when I get a burger without the bun). Service is fast. It's best to go at 4:30 or 5:00 when it's quieter.

19. anonoymous
    Posted November 18, 2010 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Funny The Tremont Tap House was voted it the top 5 for best burger in Cleveland.. Sometimes I feel people just need something to bitch about. My friends and I go frequently and aside from the occasional bartender/server having an off day we enjoy EVERYTHING. Bartenders and servers are human too, and it sounds as though they are having to deal with some real pains in the butts. Maybe give something a second chance before berating ans writing it off.