attention all chefs

My friend Christina just sent me this story in USA Today about Seattle chefs leading culinary tours throughout the city. On each tour, the chef will accompany eager participants to the market to shop for the day’s ingredients, then back to the chef’s restaurant for a cooking demo.

If they were offering this tour when we were in Seattle last October, we totally would have signed up. We ate at Crush and of course visited Pike Place Market. Let’s just say we still talk about our fabulous experience and dinner at Crush.

Christina is right, Cleveland should totally offer similar tours. We have all the ingredients needed to make this happen, and it wouldn’t be difficult to execute. I’d happily be among the first to sign up. This would be wonderful for our city and another great way to showcase all the talent and delicious and inventive food that is right here.

1. Rosemarie
    Posted June 24, 2008 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

A few of the classes offered at Tri-C by local chefs this summer are somewhat similar. They go to the market (or farm?) one day to purchase the main ingrediants and then head to the cooking classroom at Tri-C to cook the meal.

I definitely think it is on the same track, maybe the chefs (like Chef Sawyer)will enjoy it so much they will want to incorporate it into their actual restaurants!

Posted June 24, 2008 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I agree, somewhat similiar, but not really. While I think it’s great Tri-C is offering this, I’d much rather see something along the lines of what Seattle is doing.

3. Sarah
    Posted June 24, 2008 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I would love to sign up for something like this!

4. Beth
    Posted June 24, 2008 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Also, *something* along these lines is being offered by Muse at the Ritz: http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/Cleveland/Information/Calendar/Default.htm
    (No affiliation)

5. Alexa
    Posted June 24, 2008 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

come on chefs, you can do it! michelle i nominate you to be chair of the committee. i’ll be the taste tester.

of course this will have to occur after i stop trying out this vegan thing.

6. Rosemarie
    Posted June 25, 2008 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

I just meant it was a start! I think getting it full time with all the great local chefs on board would be great.

7. ChefDelbert
    Posted July 1, 2008 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

See link. Although for the 7 – 12 year olds, it is a start. I will be conducting the July 24th class at Stan Hywet. Sign your kids up it will be fun !