grilled cheese for dogs

As much as I love living in Cleveland, I wish this city were more dog friendly – like San Francisco. There, dogs are welcome in most coffee shops, on restaurant patios, in stores, etc. And I’m not suggesting all dogs – we could cap it off at dogs less than 20 pounds, like Stella, our Boston Terrier (Ok, I know that’s not fair, but I’m only thinking about my dog).

When Stella was a puppy, I would stick her in my vest and bring her everywhere – from Starbucks to Target. It wasn’t until she grew and started to stick her head out that people noticed and politely asked us to leave.

There are a few exceptions to the rule. Take Cottonwood in Chagrin Falls, where they welcome all dogs to join their owners while browsing for furniture. And where I work – all dogs are welcome and on any given day you can find between 5 – 10 dogs here.

And now you can add Melt in Lakewood to the list. I just read at clevelandmagazine.com that man’s best friend is allowed on the patio on Sundays after 9 p.m. Restricted, yes. But it’s a start.

1. Mom2Xan
    Posted June 18, 2008 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Dear goodness that is a cute puppy. Good to hear about Melt. I hope more places follow suit.

I used to dream of winning a lottery and opening a coffee shop/dog treat bakery where both species would be welcome. Now I just dream of someone else doing the work and me being a customer. West side please. LOL!

Posted June 18, 2008 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I know it’s an outdoor place, but you can also take your pooch to the Dairy King in South Euclid between Green and Belvoir on Mayfield Rd. Not only are dogs welcome there, they have a doggie treat for a buck. It’s some vanilla soft serve on a dish with a dog biscuit on it. Cute. And my pooch loves it. Of course like all dogs, she loves eating in general ;-)

3. beth
    Posted June 18, 2008 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Don’t forget about Great Lakes’ Dog Day in July!

Anecdote: American Greetings Interactive does a bring your dog to work day in the summer.

4. Dave
    Posted June 18, 2008 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Take your dog to work day is this Friday, June 20th: http://www.takeyourdog.com/

Another pet friendly place is the Wine Bar in Rocky River. They have a doggie brunch on their patio every Sunday: http://www.winebarrr.com/fun.htm#DoggieBrunch

I have also seen dogs inside the Bier Market.

Note they DO NOT place restrictions on large dogs! My lab is offended at your attempt to restrict it to dogs under 20 pounds! :)

Posted June 19, 2008 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the tips on all the other pet friendly places.

And Dave, my apologies to your lab!

6. Blackswamp_Girl
    Posted June 25, 2008 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Nice Blog! (I found you through a link on the Cool Cleveland website.)

My 90lb Lab/Malamute mix is in the camp with Dave’s lab on size restrictions… ;) … but as a west-side gardening enthusiast I have to say that I’ve seen many dogs at Gale’s Westlake, shopping with their owners. Some of them are the 20lb fit-in-the-cart variety, but I’ve also seen a large St. Bernardish mix there that the staff seemed to know by name.

7. Blackswamp_Girl
    Posted June 25, 2008 at 9:56 am | Permalink

(Oh, and Stella is ADORABLE!) :)