lolita (and great melt coverage)

I’ve become very indecisive as of late. On Friday morning, we decided to head to Lolita for dinner since we haven’t been there in awhile (yes, I think about what I’m going to have for dinner within an hour of waking up). But then my friend Christina sent me this link to the fantastic story on Melt in USA Today (good for them!). So that made me want a deluxe grilled cheese for dinner instead. However, come 4:30 that afternoon and already falling victim to a growling stomach, the thought of waiting up to two hours for a seat at Melt quickly changed things. So instead of going back to our original plan of Lolita, we decided to head to Flying Fig for happy hour after a coworker said something about the pork nachos. Well, that didn’t pan out either. After driving around for 15 minutes looking for parking (apparently we weren’t the only ones with that same thought – everyone in that area was packed, including Bar Cento and Great Lakes), we threw in the towel and realized we should have stuck with our first thought. And that’s how we (happily) ended up on Lolita’s cozy patio Friday night.

Not surprisingly, this place was crowded, too. Luckily, there was a table open on the patio (thank god because at this point, I was ready to stand by the kitchen and beg Chef Matt for anything I could get my hands on – the joys of pregnancy…).

This was my first time on the patio. It’s really cute, with a great garden and well-covered from the street. The only drawback was the neighbor’s blaring classic rock station competing with Lolita’s music.

For our meal, we started with the beets of course – a must order item if you are at Lolita. Seriously the best in town. Then we decided to share two pizzas, knowing we’d have leftovers for tomorrow. We went with the basil, prosciutto and sea salt pizza and the pulled pork with smoked gouda (a sub for the cheddar that night) and salsa verde.

The beets did not disappoint and I was actually pretty close to putting in another order because they are that good. I just love the honey with the ricotta. The super thin and crispy pizzas were enjoyable as well, with the favorite definitely being the pulled pork. Really great flavor and one I’d happily order again. Next time though I think we’ll stick to one pizza because they weren’t as good the next day as I thought they would be. A little too chewy, as you might imagine, but nonetheless, still made for a good snack.

1. Narm
    Posted July 28, 2008 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Too bad I didn’t see you – I was at Lolita on Friday night as well! Apparently crawling on your hands and knees and begging for their tomato soup won’t get you anywhere.

Worth a shot.

Posted July 28, 2008 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

That Melt coverage is awesome! the dinner wait there was really two hours? going for lunch on Sundays has worked out well for me, no wait.

3. AdamX
    Posted July 28, 2008 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

I was supposed to lunch at Melt today but my lazy ass couldn’t get out of bed before 3PM.

The “big popper” on the USA Today story does look might tasty.

4. August
    Posted July 29, 2008 at 7:42 am | Permalink

i LOVE the basil and prosciutto pizza. I haven’t tried the beets but the potatoes are too good to be true!!

5. RyanMcFly1985
    Posted July 29, 2008 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Was the pulled pork with smoked gouda pizza a special that night? Or do you know if they will have it more often? I am going there next Tuesday (August 5th) and was really hoping to try that.

Posted July 29, 2008 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Narm: I have a feeling you were out later than us!

Anonymous: To be fair, I don’t know what the wait was that night, but the last time I was there that’s how long it took to get a table and I’ve heard you really can’t sit down without waiting at least 45 mins – 1 hr.

Ryan: That pizza was part of the menu. It might also be nice as an app since it’s so super thin and crispy.

7. RyanMcFly1985
    Posted July 29, 2008 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Thanks so much. I can’t wait to try it!

8. Candis
    Posted July 30, 2008 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Hey – Congrats on your mention on DesignSponge. That’s pretty cool! :)

Posted July 30, 2008 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

funny–I’m *always* thinking about my next meal!

Posted July 31, 2008 at 1:30 am | Permalink

The pulled pork pizza is now with gouda and not chedder anymore.

We sometimes have the tomato soup around for parties…ask and you might receive!!

Great seeing you two, good luck with the next couple of months.

Matt

11. RyanMcFly1985
    Posted July 31, 2008 at 8:23 am | Permalink

All I know is, come Sunday night I am gonna be ready for the pulled pork pizza with gouda!!! This is coming from a 23 year-old recent college grad who rarely can afford anything better than Subway or Panera for dinner. Once every two weeks or so, I am fortunate enough to go to a place like Tremont Tap House or Bar Cento for dinner. Sunday can’t come soon enough!

Posted July 31, 2008 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Matt: That news about the soup should make several people very happy!

Ryan: You should start checking out the happy hour scene for dinner. You can still eat great and spend the same amount that you are at Panera. Great burgers (I know Matt’s favorite :) at Lolita for $5, and similiar findings in the same price range at Light, Crop and Fahrenheit.

13. rockandroller
    Posted July 31, 2008 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I have been to Melt probably over a dozen times and there is a wait for a table about 80% of the time, usually a much longer wait for the food 100% of the time. It is NOT their fault and this is not a bash on them. The cooks work in a very, very tiny kitchen and there are maybe 2 people in there total who are cooking the food for this place so it’s very time-intensive. It is not a place to go for a weekday lunch unless you easily have 1.5 hours, if not longer. Dinners have stretch to 2 hours with wait time for both seats and food.

If you are by yourself and it’s not a rush time, you can sit at the bar usually with no wait and the wait time for food goes down to about 25 minutes, but it can be 40 minutes to an hour during other times.

14. RyanMcFly1985
    Posted July 31, 2008 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much, Michelle!

Posted August 4, 2008 at 10:19 am | Permalink

ryanmcfly–did you ever make it in to Lolita on Sunday? I was going to try to keep an eye out for you (though I don’t really know what I’m looking for) but we got so busy I forgot until the end of the night. Just curious if you got the pizza and liked it or not. Matt

16. RyanMcFly1985
    Posted August 5, 2008 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Matt,

I did make it to Lolita on Sunday. My parents are I got there around 5:30. We shared the Ricotta Dip as an appetizer. Wow…I am glad my parents were there as I would have totally stuffed my face with this dish if they weren’t! I got the pulled pork and smoked gouda pizza, and it exceeded my expectations. I took home leftovers and ended up having them later that night; I couldn’t resist. My dad got the roasted chicken and said it may have been the most delicious chicken he has ever had. He almost always takes home leftovers, but that was no issue on Sunday. Also, he is enamored by the carrots and turnips side dish. My mom just had the tomato pizza (it’s a long process getting her to try new things), but there was not much talking from her end of the table…just a lot of eating. She said the leftovers made an excellent lunch on Monday. Thanks so much for asking! Overall, I can’t say enough about the dining experience. I really hope to try the happy hour menu soon as I have heard that burger is out of sight. I also enjoyed being able to sip on Commodore Perry and Flying Dog In Heat Wheat while I enjoyed the food.

17. RyanMcFly1985
    Posted August 5, 2008 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Oh and how can I forget our waitress? Maybe a little older than me (I’m 23). My parents and I were very impressed with how meticulous yet professional she was. She’s a keeper for Lolita for sure!

Posted August 7, 2008 at 1:51 am | Permalink

thanks, say hi next time in. you can tell your mother the tomato pizza is my favorite. i’m guessing the server was kira who is going back to school soon in the fall, she’s done an awesome job for us. Matt

19. RyanMcFly1985
    Posted August 7, 2008 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Will do. Give Kira my best!