the flying fig

To celebrate our second wedding anniversary, we headed to The Flying Fig in Ohio City. Since neither of us have been here for dinner in quite some time, and both consider it one of the city’s best, we figured it was the perfect choice.

I love this restaurant for many reasons and always recommend it to people that have never been. The decor, location, staff and of course food truly make it a Cleveland standout.

I started with a glass of Crios cabernet from Argentina and savored every last drop. It’s funny, pre-pregnancy, I would easily enjoy several glasses of wine throughout the night, often sharing a bottle (sometimes two…) with whomever. Now, or at least for the next few weeks, I allow myself to have one glass of wine here and there and make it last for the entire night. I never thought it was possible to make one glass last – who knew? I consider it quite the accomplishment to still have a few sips left by the time dessert arrives.

For starters, I went with the beet salad with goat cheese, toasted walnuts and honey vinaigrette. Not only was this salad beautifully presented, it was absolutely delicious (although I would have liked a bit more vinaigrette). However, rest assured chef Matt and Lolita, your beet salad still reigns supreme.

For dinner, I opted to go with a trio of small plates: seared scallop stuffed with braised beef and horseradish potato puree; medjool dates with smoked bacon stuffed with chorizo in a smoked pepper sauce; and braised lamb shank aside a scallion crepe and roasted local baby carrots.

The option of several small plates it truly my kind of concept. I love to try several different items and usually have a hard time deciding on one final dish. I love being able to explore different flavors and giving a few different combinations a try.

I couldn’t be more happy with my three choices. Every bite was delicious, especially the scallop and lamb shank with its rich and thick sauce. And the horseradish puree was flavorful and had the perfect amount of horseradish. I enjoyed the dates, but found the sauce a little bland and thought the dates were better as is.

Jamie went with the grilled short ribs atop the horseradish puree. Considering he scraped his plate clean, I think he was also equally as happy with his selection. We were both surprised this dish was grilled versus braised, but agreed the grilled flavor really made the short ribs.

For dessert, we had the molton chocolate cake with fig ice cream. In a word – wow. Not since the molton cake at the old Fulton Bar and Grill with its original chef have we had a version this good. Many have come close, but this was unbelievable and really hit the spot.

All in all, it was a wonderful meal at one of our favorite spots. And even better, it has been an amazing first two years of marriage that just keeps getting better.

1. Alexa
    Posted October 27, 2008 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

their date small plate got me hooked on dates in general. such a great place, and their short ribs, um yum.

Posted October 27, 2008 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Alexa – I’m hooked on dates, too. Ever since I tried the original stuffed date at Avec in Chicago. We make them all the time for parties – super easy and so damn good. Let me know the next time you need a good app and I’ll send it to you.

3. Kelly and José
    Posted October 27, 2008 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Congratulations :)

Sounds like a lovely meal, especially the ending*

-Kelly

ps – If you don’t mind sending us the recipe of the stuffed date appetizer, we would really appreciate it: teamgf@gmail.com and be sure to let you know how it turns out!

Posted October 27, 2008 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Speaking of anniversaries, happy 100,000 site views. 100, 424 to be exact.

5. Allison M.
    Posted October 27, 2008 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

i’m missing out on a great restaurant. I need to go soon.

Posted October 27, 2008 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Flying Fig does offer great food in a great setting. I only wish they would vary the menu a bit more.

7. outdoorgriller
    Posted October 27, 2008 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

I like to steam the ribs on the grill.If you want more recipes or if you want to take a look at the collection of tips I have for grilling you can visit http://www.cookingandgrillinoutdoors.com

Posted October 28, 2008 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Congrats! I love Flying Fig and try to take advantage of their happy hour specials every few months with my girlfriends….but

Michelle–any chance you would want to share your stuffed date appetizer recipe with all of your blog readers?

Posted October 29, 2008 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Sure. I actually did a post about it awhile back. You can find the recipe here:

The smoked paprika is key – I like the one at Heather's Heat & Flavor. Enjoy!

10. Bac
    Posted December 2, 2008 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Flying Fig is definitely one of my favorite Cleveland restaurants! Their dates are delicious and deep.