2182 bistro

For my latest Metromix review, we headed back to 2182 Bistro in Brecksville. This wasn’t my first visit to the tiny French bistro and wine bar, but I have a feeling it will probably be my last.

It’s not that everything on the menu is disappointing, I have had a few good items. But for the most part, the food has just been so so, especially this last time (I had the gratin de macaroni which should have been outstanding based on description alone, but was instead a huge disappointment).

In addition, the service, while timely and attentive, has been rather unfriendly on each visit – almost as if they had much better things to do then work that night and let you know it.

I realize this place has a lot of fans. Maybe it’s a fluke and it really is a great establishment. But for us, it’s not worth the trip and after several attempts to like it, we’re done.

You can read the entire review here.

Posted November 25, 2008 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

I ate there once and my server ignored my husband and I to pay attention to the next table over. We finally figured out that they had ordered the most expensive bottle of wine on the menu.

I really wanted to like the place but getting ignored for 60 minutes is not my idea of fun.

2. mike b
    Posted November 25, 2008 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

we had some great meals at 2182 in the past, but it seems as though they have been slowly declining for the past six months or so. not sure if a talented chef or manager left. it’s definitely not the same.

Posted November 26, 2008 at 8:17 am | Permalink

I couldnt disagree with you more. I have never had a bad meal there and about once every month we dine at 2182. EVERYTHING is done from scratch and chef Rob is still at the helm with the only “manager” being owner Brian who is at the place 24/7. If you ever have any complaints with service or food notify him and he will take care of you.

Posted November 28, 2008 at 12:33 am | Permalink

You really shouldn’t have to tell the Manager you had bad service if it is continual.

Posted November 28, 2008 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I had a great meal there this past summer and I am sad to hear that you all had bad experiences. I don’t blame you if you don’t go back, but I think I will.

6. A.C.
    Posted December 2, 2008 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Do you have any insight to any New Year’s Eve dinner packages at any of your favorite restaurants?

Posted December 3, 2008 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Hi AC -

I plan to do a post soon about various NYE specials. In the meantime, I know Crop is having a five-course, prix-fixe set at $75 per person.

For that, you’ll receive a glass of champagne, a pair of apps, a salad, an entrĂ©e, and dessert.

8. Ken
    Posted January 19, 2009 at 9:16 am | Permalink

My fiance and I made our first visit this past weekend. We like to try new places and wanted to experience a cozy restaurant while enjoying good wine. After passing by space heaters and finally getting someone’s attention to seat us, we were ready for our dining experience. I thought my entree was good and our waiter’s service was too. But we received no bread (is this the usual practice) and learned we’d incur a $10 corking fee for our bottle of wine. I would really like to know why they don’t just add that to the price of the wine. Is there a way to buy this bottle and enjoy it with the meal without having this charged tacked onto our check? I didn’t think so. Let’s just call a spade a spade. Skip the hidden costs, serve some bread, add a little more to the small portions, turn up the heat a little, and clean your windows. We won’t be coming back to this artsy fartsy place anytime soon.

Posted September 24, 2009 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

This restaurant may have the worst service in the whole of Cleveland. Not shocking that it’s in uppity Brecksville, I think snooty people must really like other snooty people…location, location, location. Don’t waste your money here, there are plenty of other quality Cleveland restaurants with good food, wine and SERVICE. I also have a high-tolerance for bad service, which is why I’m especially compelled to write this comment. Keep up the good (honest) blog.