blogging, bar cento and the food show

Last Thursday, we headed to Bar Cento for a blogger meet up. Fellow Cleveland blogger, Alexa, thought it was about time that many of the local bloggers met. It was a lot of fun to meet everyone, and even better because we were at Bar Cento and enjoyed some fabulous eats (mussels, olives, pommes frites, sunnyside pizza, salumi).

The next night, we headed to a United Way event at the Food Show at the IX Center. The two-hour event featured passed appetizers from Paula Deen, Michael Symon (the lobster pierogies were coveted by pretty much everyone) and some of the other chefs. The highlight of the evening was this champion celebrity bartender from Australia, Hayden Wood, or Uncle Woody as he liked to call himself. This incredibly witty and talented guy impressed the crowd with his mad skills (think bottles flying, glasses twirling). Jamie was so impressed, that on the way home he kept thinking of how we could bring this guy in for a party (granted he was a little over-served himself – sober I’m sure he would have realized flying a guy in from Australia for a party isn’t going to happen anytime soon…).

After the show, we were still hungry and still thinking of the great food from the night before, so we placed an order for takeout at Bar Cento. Of course we ordered the sunnyside pizza (literally Jamie’s favorite pizza – ever) and the acorn squash ravioli and a side of the beets for me. Everest also hooked us up with two wonderful desserts, the apple tart and olive oil cake. Each were so good, I almost didn’t share.

The ravioli, which was generously topped with pancetta, was flavorful, satisfying and just what I was craving. And the sliced beets with breadcrumbs were also fantastic. I liked this version much better than the beets with blue cheese, that used to be on the menu.

The long weekend of good eats continued with dinner at Momocho the next night, but I’ll post about that later. I think I’m trying to get in as many meals from my favorite places while I still can. Not that I can’t after the baby, I just know it won’t be right away.

1. Kelly and José
    Posted November 17, 2008 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Lovely meeting you in person on Thursday :)

Hope all continues to go well with your pregnancy — I would definitely continue to *really* enjoy good eats if I were in your position too!

-Kelly

Posted November 17, 2008 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Great meeting you guys, too!! Good luck with the wedding.

3. Molls
    Posted November 17, 2008 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

I COMPLETELY agree about the food show. I went last year, and it was definitely worth it to see a cute little pregnant Giada, but the samples were disgusting. Other than the celebrity appearances, the show is lacking in actual food interest.

I too love love love the Sunnyside Pizza (had it yesterday). And it was kids cooking day, so adorable to watch the little ones make their own pizzas.

Posted November 17, 2008 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

The food show was better then I expected. There was a few local companies worth checking out. The 18 year balsamic from the olive oil company from Medina was phenomenal as well as some of the amish cheese. It had more substance then just foodies with their glasses of wine.

5. twunty mcslore
    Posted November 18, 2008 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now and you haven’t steered me wrong yet. Everything you suggested at Luxe was fabulous and our large group had a great time.
    Good luck with your baby!
    By the way, when I was a bartender I served pregnant women in their last month and nothing bad ever happened, moderation I suppose. Got some nasty stares from other customers, but they only had one glass, And nursed it for a couple hours! Anyway, thanks again, love the blog.

Posted November 19, 2008 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I have attended the food show in the past and actually thought it was pretty fun. There are a lot of booths with scary samples, but we actually ordered some great food from booths whose restaurants were in the area. I would say that you don’t have to go every year, but it is nice that Cleveland gets these big shows. We are lucky to have them.

Posted November 20, 2008 at 11:17 am | Permalink

I agree, it is good for Cleveland to have this show.

8. Tara
    Posted November 25, 2008 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

I attended the “Fabulous” Food Show I believe the first year it came around, which was a few years ago and it was such a let down. Well, aside from the Paula Deen show, that is. However, I would have liked to see her actually cook. But, I do realize that she has a big personality and really was there to visit with the fans, so it was ok. I still would have liked to see some cooking… Which brings me to the rest of the show. Where was the cooking? Or the “fabulous” food? To me, it was like a large grocery store with just a few items I may have not seen in the Whole Foods or Mustard Seed I can go to anytime I want. The samples were mainly of frozen food appetizers and like you said, pretzels and dip. My boyfriend and I went there and expected to eat and got so hungry wondering around looking for the food. And then we finally found some food to eat… at the concession stands. They wanted us to eat nachos and corn dogs at the “fabulous” food show? We just couldn’t believe it. We did take advantage of the wine tasting area, but even that was seriously lacking. I was so disappointed because I’m a huge Food Network fan, a huge fan of cooking and food, and I was so excited that this show came to Cleveland, but after that visit we just won’t be back. If I find out in the future it has changed, I’d love to go, but it seems to me the IX center just wants to cater to the masses, not to the foodies in Cleveland.