breakfast at lucky’s

We headed to our favorite local spot for breakfast yesterday morning, Lucky’s Cafe in Tremont. If you have yet to check this little spot out for coffee and breakfast, do yourself a favor and go – soon. Lucky’s not only features wonderful and tempting selections for brunch, but the atmosphere is super cozy and relaxing, which makes it ideal as a breakfast destination (especially this time of the year).

On the menu, I quickly spotted a few specials that almost swayed me, like the cinnamon crepes and pumpkin pancakes, but wasn’t in the mood for something that sweet. Instead, we split our favorite: the breakfast burrito (eggs wrapped in two tortillas covered with thick guajillo sauce, cheese and baked) and pecan-crusted bacon.

The bacon at Lucky’s alone is worth the trip regardless of location. We always say we should try to recreate this at home, but quickly realize it’s probably better that we don’t!

On this particular visit, I noticed all the little ones inside. This of course made me happy since we won’t have to sacrifice visits once the baby comes (unless of course she’s a screamer!).

On our way home, we stopped at the new cupcake shop, A Cookie and a Cupcake, from Wendy Thompson, formerly with Dante. Unfortunately, it was too early and they weren’t open quite yet (not until 11 a.m. on Sundays), but the store really does look cute (as you might expect given the concept) with lots of impressive goodies in the window.

Wendy told me via e-mail recently that they do offer a cupcake similar to the chocolate and peanut butter bar that she created for Dante, which was easily one of the best desserts we’ve had in town. We’re really looking forward to trying this.

1. Michael Walsh
    Posted November 3, 2008 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

I had the peanut butter cup cake, it is awsome!!! easily the most wonderful cupcake i’ve had in my entire life. The espresso cupcake was also very good. The vivid colors, and variety of flavors are impressive, and the cute box they send you home with just makes you giggle with enjoyment.

Posted November 4, 2008 at 10:35 am | Permalink

the carrot cupcake is absolutely amazing, but i wasn’t as fond of the chocolate peanut butter. they need to offer more cookies though if thats what the part of the name of the bakery is.

3. Skeezix
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Holy crap, I was at Lucky’s on Sunday morning. I even thought that perhaps you were there (the requirements being a dark haired pretty pregnant lady). That sounds stalkerish, but it was a thought that passed through my head.

I had the mac and cheese, which was so amazing I actually was a little sick afterwards. Really rich and delicious. My mom had the ham sandwich and my dad the breakfast burrito. My parents support my desire to eat a new place every chance I get to come back to Cleveland.

Posted November 4, 2008 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

I’m so happy to have red velvet cupcakes with delicious cream cheese frosting in the neighborhood. Pretty soon it will be illegal to walk around Tremont after dinner or during Artwalks without a little pink box in your hand.

5. August
    Posted November 7, 2008 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Michelle… I LOVE Luckys!!!! And guess what… I found a recipe on Epicurious for Praline Pecan Bacon. I made it at home. IT was super easy and sooo yummy! You should definitely try to recreate it. Make sure you use thick cut bacon!!! I’m glad you wrote a post about Lucky’s … I rave about that place to everyone!

Posted December 14, 2008 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

I LOVE Lucky’s but found a new brunch spot that may give Lucky’s a run for their money – Latitude 41. Sooooo good!