momocho

This past Saturday, we headed to Momocho with two of my sisters and their husbands for dinner. I was craving Mexican all week and no one was about to tell the pregnant women she couldn’t pick the restaurant.

We took my sister and brother-in-law there last spring, but this was the first outing for my other sister. They can sometimes be picky so I was a little nervous (they are perhaps the only two I know that didn’t love Lola), but after one taste of the guac, it was smooth sailing.

And it wasn’t just a taste of guacamole that we started with, but several. We ordered the goat cheese, jicama with pineapple and habanero, smoked trout with bacon and the crab with pickled corn. I enjoyed each except for the jicama – too spicy for my taste.

For dinner, there were several new items on the menu, including lobster and shrimp empanadas and braised duck and yam enchiladas. I know the pepita and pecan-crusted trout is the house specialty, but to me it should be the smoked trout and crab chilaquiles. I order it almost every time and have never tasted anything like it. But this time, I promised myself I would order something different. And after our server walked the table through the menu, I was sold on another new item, the kobe beef albondigas (meatballs) with grilled tomato and chile guajillo, hominy and truffle oil. In fact, since I overdid it with the guacamole, plus the fact that I don’t have much room left in my stomach these days, Jamie and I spilt this dish, as well as an order of the lobster and shrimp empanadas (and I still couldn’t finish everything).

The meatballs, which were much bigger than I anticipated, were incredibly flavorful, not too spicy and cooked perfectly. We both really enjoyed them, as well as my brother-in-law who opted for the same thing. I didn’t regret passing on my favorite standby and would gladly order this again. The empanadas were also delicious and ideal for sharing. I hope these are two dishes that permanently find a home on the menu.

Everyone else was equally as satisfied. My one sister tried the yam enchiladas and the other, with my urging, went with the crab and trout chilaquiles. Finally, my other brother-in-law opted for the pork chop with mole and smoked gouda tamale dumplings. Everyone was all smiles and enjoyed every bite.

For dessert, my sister ordered the fried ice cream. Despite being incredibly full, I couldn’t resist trying one bite. I have to say, I didn’t care for it. I didn’t like the texture or coating. But what I did enjoy was the Mexican coffee. It’s a local coffee they use (of course now I can’t remember the name) and the server told us they add brown sugar and cinnamon. It was really good. So good that my sister went out the next day to pick up some for herself.

So I know I have said this before, but it’s worth repeating: Momocho really is the best Mexican in town. The atmosphere, service, margaritas and of course, food, continue to impress and bring us back for more. If you haven’t been, put it on your list. I haven’t been yet, but the new addition of the Sunday Supper Special at $15 per person might be the perfect time to head to Ohio City to experience modern Mexican at a really good price.

1. Jenni
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 11:03 am | Permalink

I’m so excited to try this place! I keep hearing great things about it. The only problem is: I’m a vegetarian, and I didn’t see much on the menu that I could eat. I hope I was looking at an old menu and that’s not the case cause I really want to go there!

Posted November 20, 2008 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I think you’ll find things you can eat, like the avocado crusted tuna, and there was a portobello mushroom dish I remember seeing, plus mahi mahi and scallops. You should be good!

3. stacy175
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Another question: We’re new to town and have an 11-month-old in a high chair. Could we bring her along or would you recommend a babysitter?

Posted November 20, 2008 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Maybe try for the Sunday night special first and see how it goes? Honestly, I’ve never seen kids there, but I think Sundays tend to be more kid-friendly at restaurants in general. Let me know how it goes, or at what other places you bring your kid to b/c we’ll be in that same boat soon! If we have a screamer, we won’t be out much. But if she’s good, I’m sure we’ll try some of our favorites, but eat super early.

5. mexichef
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 11:33 am | Permalink

michelle – thanx for coming in + hope you had a good time

in response to your fans…we have some great vegetarian options like the new remolacha or alcachofa taquitos / 1 is roasted beets with spinach + spiced peanuts / the other is sofrito artichokes with goat cheese / chile relleno etc

+ we love kids / any time any day / afterall the restaurant is named after mine!

6. Hayley
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I had the beets/spinach/peanuts dish when we went – and I absolutely LOVED it!!! It was so unique and delish!!!

7. Bill Teets
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Michelle – A) Nice meeting you last week, B) I couldn’t agree more about Momocho – place is great!

Also, for kids, I think anytime is fine, but perhaps if you go early during the week it wouldn’t be an issue…plus they havea fabulous happy hour!

Posted November 20, 2008 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Hey Bill, good to meet you too!

9. Kelly and José
    Posted November 22, 2008 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

We’ve been meaning to take advantage of Momocho’s Sunday Special — perhaps tomorrow we’ll swing by after the Browns game ;)

Also – Dante was exceptional the other evening. Thank you, as always for your wonderful recommendations*

-Kelly

Posted November 22, 2008 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

So glad you guys liked Dante – he really does a great job with the sushi on Thursdays!

11. John Ettorre
    Posted November 24, 2008 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Thanks for pointing out a new place worth checking out, Michelle. I can never find enough good Mex places in Cleveland.