a cookie and a cupcake

Last weekend we went over our friend’s for a small dinner party. I wanted to bring something in addition to wine, so earlier that day we went to Tremont for some treats at A Cookie & a Cupcake (plus some quick shopping/browsing at Banyan Tree).

I was so excited to finally check out this bakery. I’ve been a fan of Wendy Thompson from her days at Dante and knew this place would be sinfully good. Their shop, which she co-owns with Syndee Klingenberg, is tiny but filled with big aromas of all things sweet and decadent. The shop is easy to find, just look for the one-of-a-kind, beautifully decorated cakes in the window.

There are 12 cupcakes available daily, each at $2.50. I selected a mix of German chocolate, espresso, apple, carrot, PB lovers (chocolate cake with peanut butter crunch, similar to Wendy’s one dessert we loved at Dante) and lemon.

The cakes aren’t the only things that are impressively decorated. Each cupcake is a little work of art. It has to be quite time consuming to assemble and decorate all these tiny cakes. Their effort pays off because these cupcakes tasted as good as they looked.

I tried the lemon with raspberry filling and butter cream. It was very good and surprisingly, not as sweet as I anticipated, although I still didn’t eat all the butter cream, it was almost too much. I also tried a bite of the PB lover and sure enough, that was another winner.

In fact, there were smiles all around the dinner table.

1. Haley
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I’m not a sweets lover but do enjoy their cupcakes. They make a cookie that has white chocolate and dried cranberries and something else as well and it is aweseome.

2. HBW
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

I love the apple one…that place is amazing. My husband and I go there whenever we are craving something “special”…

Posted February 27, 2009 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

This would be my number one spot in Cleveland honestly. I can’t even begin to talk about how much I love it… for instance. the Cookie Monster Cupcake.. HEAVEN

4. RobertS
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

I was eagerly anticipating the opening of this shop. The only thing sweeter than the desserts in this shop are the owners! We tried an assortment. They were all delicious!

Posted February 27, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Don’t forget to try the macaroons!!

6. Allison M.
    Posted February 28, 2009 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

I love any take on German chocolate cake. Hopefully they have one like that.

7. Kelly and José
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Ooooh — I absolutely cannot wait to try :) Not only am I a huge fan of cupcakes but macaroons as well! Mmm*

-Kelly

Posted May 13, 2009 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

I went to visit this shop and had to say that I was not impressed. I got a red velvet cupcake and my daughter wanted chocolate and we got a lemon for my mother. My daughter’s cupcake was quite good… very moist but WAY too much frosting. Mine on the other hand was horrible. Red velvet cake… should be…well… RED. I broke mine open and there were chunks of it that was yellow (like it had not been mixed well enough) and the cake itself was very dry. My mom was not pleased with her cupcake either. She said the cake was dry and the filling had a strange texture. I was a bit let down b/c i just paid 7.50 for 3 cupcakes and did not get my money’s worth.

Posted July 12, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

If you love German Chocolate Cake you must try the one Baker Babes Bakery makes…divine!!!

Posted March 3, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

If you want great cupcakes, visit http://www.pieceofcakeohio.com! They are perfection and the flavors are out of this world!

11. guest20
    Posted November 2, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Not impressed by Cookie and Cupcake. Their buttercream has fat too much shortening in it. I have tried several different “buttercream” flavors and they all tasted like shortening. Sure they look great, but they don’t taste great. Some of the best cupcakes I’ve had are by The Sugared Orchid Bakery. It’s an out of home business in the Cleveland area. I tried them at a wedding recently and they were delicious.

12. guest20
    Posted November 2, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Not impressed by Cookie and Cupcake. Their buttercream has waayy too much shortening in it. I have tried several different “buttercream” flavors and they all tasted like shortening. Sure they look great, but they don’t taste great. Some of the best cupcakes I’ve had are by The Sugared Orchid Bakery. It’s an out of home business in the Cleveland area. I tried them at a wedding recently and they were delicious. Key Lime Pie was to die for.