go fish

Today kicks off the search for great fish fries in our area. If you have a favorite, please share. We like American Tavern in Solon and The Colony in Cleveland Heights. For a slight twist, check out Baricelli. Every Friday throughout Lent, get a three-course, prixe fixe dinner for $30. The menu includes:

Soup or Salad
Rainbow trout, skate or seafood fettuccine
Creme brulee or sorbets

WKYC posted a guide for local fish fries, mostly at churches. If you know of any other good places to try, please share.

1. alexa - cleveland's a plum
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

this may sound random, but my favorite fish fry place is the House of Cues. Close second would be the Harp.

2. Narm
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

You are going to call me crazy but the Harbor Inn has a great fish fry on Fridays – but the kitchen is only open 12-4.

3. Nancy Heller
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

M – Please tell me more about American Tavern’s Fish Fry – what comes with it and how much? WHy do you like it?

It may be another week or two until I can eat Cleveland fish, after 9 days in the Gulf of Mexico.

4. bonnjill
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

I try to go to the Fish Fry at the German-American (Donauschwaben) Club in Olmsted Township once or twice during Lent. The line is long, but they have tons of tables in the banquet hall. You can choose fish, shrimp or chicken and dinners come with coleslaw or applesauce and strudel and coffee. We usually hit the bar before and after the dinner. Imported German beer for $2.50. You can’t beat it!

Posted February 27, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Nancy – I can’t remember how much it is, maybe $8.95 or close to it. It’s not the greatest fish in the worls, but we just love the AT, good memories and it’s kinda our local place. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good – I just don’t want you to go there with the idea that you’re going to have the best fish fry ever.

Posted February 27, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Mapleside Farms in Medina/Strongsville border has a fry for 10.95 and it is rediculous how much food there is. If you go on Friday night, you won’t be hungry until sometime on Monday. Not to mention the fab apple treats that are on the appetizer and dessert tables. Catholic or not, you have to try it.

Posted February 28, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Michelle,
    did you ever try the fish fry at Borallys on Chardon Rd?
    Thanks

8. Jessica
    Posted March 1, 2009 at 9:48 am | Permalink

I’m kind of partial to the fish fry at Yours Truly. Doesn’t blow the mind but it’s good and reasonable. I used to love Pete’s fish fry at The Knotty Pine in Cleve Hts…actually, just about all his food was great, and so was seeing Pete. Not sure if the new ownership does a fish fry.

9. Wendy
    Posted March 3, 2009 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Cafe Toscano in Aurora has a Friday Night Fish Fry available through Lent. Beer battered cod, cole slaw and french fries for $14.95. They have the best fries!