Recently, chef Pete Joyce and his wife opened Bistro on Lincoln Park in the old Sage space in Tremont. My husband and I went there for dinner in early December. We thoroughly enjoyed both the space and the food and would highly recommend visiting if you haven’t already.
1. What are the top 5 spices every home chef should have? Salt, pepper, thyme, cinnamon and chipotle
2. What is your favorite and least favorite thing to make? Favorite thing to make is duck confit; least favorite is nothing – I love to cook.
3. What is your favorite thing about Cleveland and what drives you nuts? It’s a small town with all big city things to do. People in this town think the traffic is bad, and it’s really not.
4. If you could cook for one person, real or dead, who would it be? My grandfather, Eddy.
5. You’re having a dinner party, top 5 songs on your play list? Linus & Lucy (Vince Guaraldi), The Last Waltz (The Band), Crash (Dave Matthews), Wonderful Tonight (Eric Clapton) and Ride Wit Me (Nelly)
6. Favorite restaurant in Cleveland? Flying Fig
7. What restaurant do you miss? None
8. What place(s) have Clevelanders yet to discover? Bistro on Lincoln Park
9. What’s your last meal on Earth? Foie Gras
10. Most unusual food you have ever tried? Lamb eye balls and brain
11. Most famous person you have cooked for? Derek Jeter
12. If you weren’t a chef, what would you be doing? ski bum
13. Where do you grocery shop? I don’t, my wife does (Heinens)
14. Favorite guilty pleasure when it comes to food? Foie gras
15. If you could be any other chef for one day, who would it be? Thoma Keller
16. Favorite TV show? CSI
17. Favorite kitchen gadget? Japanese Mandolin
18. What is the best plate of food you have ever had? Duck Confit, Balthazar, NYC
19. Favorite meal from your childhood? Mom’s baked chicken
20. What’s on your iPod? What’s not on my iPod? These things can hold so many songs it’s not even funny. The Band, Beatles, Grateful Dead, Phish, Clapton, Bob Dylan, Little Feat, Neil Young, Rolling Stones, The Who.
21. What’s your signature dish? Sous Vide Salmon
22. Why should someone visit you for dinner? Because the Bistro is different. It offers variety, great food, great service and a warm, inviting atmosphere with reasonable prices.
23. What’s the inspiration behind your restaurant? Passion for great food.