free tix to cleveland food rocks rock ‘n’ roll bbq

As previously posted, Cleveland Food Rocks is throwing the first Rock ‘n’ Roll BBQ throwdown this Sunday at the Beachland Ballroom. An impressive list of our local chefs will be on-hand grilling and mingling from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tickets are $25 or $30 day of, but chef Steve Schimoler of Crop, who is the brainchild behind this initiative, has generously offered up two free tickets to Cleveland Foodie.

Interested? One of the questions I always ask chefs during the q&a’s is to tell me their top five songs on a dinner party playlist. If you want the tickets, tell me what your top five songs would be if you were hosting a summer cookout. To be qualified, you must also enter your e-mail and of course be able to attend this Sunday. Just comment with your songs and e-mail between now and Thursday. Best playlist wins. Note: To be fair, I won’t pick and instead will ask a local musician.

Update: We have a winner. See comments. Thanks for sharing your playlists, lots of good selections!

1. Steve Shoemaker
    Posted July 21, 2009 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Hi Michelle, Please don't enter me in the contest as have already bought tickets, but I can come up with a playlist. These are in order of play from early to late: Real Fine Love: John Hiatt, 20th Century Man: The Kinks, Gimme Shelter: The Rolling Stones, So What: Miles Davis, Chameleon: Herbie Hancock's Headhunters. And it was nice to see you last night.

2. dixiesong3131
    Posted July 21, 2009 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Michelle: Here's my summer cookout playlist entry for the contest – which has definitely inspired a new iTunes playlist on my computer!

1) "Stitched Up" by Herbie Hancock featuring John Mayer;
    2) "Many The Miles" by Sara Bareilles;
    3) "Make It Mine" by Jason Mraz;
    4) "I'd Like To" by Corinne Bailey Rae; and
    5) "No Other Love" by John Legend featuring Estelle

You can contact me at aliciamhansen@gmail.com. Thanks again!

3. alexa - cleveland's a plum
    Posted July 21, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

ask a local musician? but what if this local musician doesn't have the same taste as me?

i'm thinking you should choose.

and then choose my play list so that i can go!

4. kakaty
    Posted July 21, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

I gotta go a little old school (at least for my 31-year-old self) and pull from my best laid-back summer memories from the high school & college days.

1)Baby's Got Sauce – G. Love & Special Sauce, 1994
    2) Summertime – DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, 1991
    3) What I Got – Sublime, 1996
    4)Hypnotize – The Notorious B.I.G. 1997
    5)Killing Me Softly- The Fugees, 1996

kateATkakakakatyDOTcom

5. Andy
    Posted July 21, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

i probably should pander to a wider audience if i want any chance of winning this, but these songs are some of what i'm currently listening to and they are all wonderful, bouncy, joyous songs that go perfectly with a warm summer day and good food & drinks…

Phoenix – "Lisztomania"
    Grizzly Bear – "Two Weeks"
    YACHT – "Psychic City"
    The Very Best – "Kamphopo"
    Dirty Projectors – "Knotty Pine"

email: muchthanmore00@yahoo.com

6. lyndsaykingsley
    Posted July 21, 2009 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

1-Just Like Heaven -The Cure
    2-You Get What You Give- New Radicals
    3-The Underdog -Spoon
    4-Cecilia -Simon and Garfunkel
    5-Scenic World -Beirut

lyndsaykingsley@gmail.com

7. JeffreyT
    Posted July 21, 2009 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Summer songs, eh? I know my play list doesn't mix, but here's what I go with…

Freefallin' – Tom Petty

4. So Fresh and So Clean-Outkast
    5. Wake Up-The Arcade Fire

mandichesner@yahoo.com

11. John
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Email: h8t_no1@yahoo.com

I'm thinking these are the five steps of a cookout:

1-Arrival and temptatioin
    2-Light summer appetizer
    3-Heavy BBQ consumption
    4-Food Coma guilts
    5-Soothing dessert

So here are my songs:

1. Milkshake- Kelis
    2. Peaches – Presidents of the United States of America
    3. Any song off of Feed Me Weird Things – Squarepusher
    4. Meat is Murder – The Smiths (because I love to freak-out my guests)
    5. Soft Serve – Soul Coughing

12. joe
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

1. Bowl of Oranges – Bright Eyes
    2. Birds and the Bees – Patrick and Eugene
    3. Eddie Vedder – Hard Sun
    4. Jack Johnson featuring Matt Costa – Let it be sung
    5. The Postal Service – Such great heights.

13. Laurel Miltner
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

My playlist:

Neutral Milk Hotel – King of Carrot Flowers (Part 1)
    David Bowie – Something in the Air
    Rilo Kiley – Portions for Foxes
    Mirah – The Garden
    Jimi Hendrix – Castles Made of Sand

My email address: laurelmackenzie@gmail.com

14. FlipFlopGirl
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Hmm, since it's a BBQ dinner party I would say a mix of country/rock (not sure they flow, but they are very food inspired and fun songs my friends and I could/would jam to!):

Chicken Fried – Zac Brown Band
    Eat It – Wierd Al
    Peaches – The Presidents of the United States of American
    Watermelon Crawl – Tracy Byrd
    Cherry Pie – Warrent

~Charity
    raretune@aol.com

15. Laura
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

For some reason BBQ means a blues playlist to me:

1.Mustang Sally- the commitments

“Mother Popcorn,” James Brown
    “Chicken Strut,” The Meters
    “Too Much Pork for Just One Fork,” Southern Culture on the Skids

philip.mcfee(at)gmail.com

17. kasw
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

love reading these playlists this is mine and I know it really shows my age :)

tied to a whipping post – allman brothers

maggotbrain – funkadeliks (sp?)

knights in white satin – moody blues

time is – it's a beautiful day

witchytitoo (sp?) – Jim Pepper

-Karen

18. Jordan
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Here goes:

1. Oye Como Va – Santana
    2. Jammin’ – Bob Marley and the Wailers
    3. Where It’s At – Beck
    4. Hey Ya – Booker T
    5. Summer – War

19. Jordan
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Forgot to include an email address:

amyandjordan@yahoo.com

20. Nathan
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Fun!

1-Brimful of Asha by Cornershop
    2-Float On by Modest Mouse
    3-Today by Smashing Pumpkins
    4-Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind
    5-Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison

ntkingsley@gmail.com

21. amyO
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

My red hot rock and roll summer cookout playlist is….

"California Sun" by The Ramones

Weezer—Island In The Sun
    Bruce Springsteen–Glory Days
    The Beatles–Good Day Sunshine
    The Cure–In Between Days

lmullett@kent.edu

Posted July 23, 2009 at 10:32 am | Permalink

CF reader Emily Williams e-mailed me that she's having problems uploading her comment. To be fair, here is her playlist:

Since this is a BBQ, I would want to take the crowd on a journey through not only the various styles of barbecue throughout the country (Carolina's vinegary sauce, Memphis' dry rub and spicy tomato slather, the Deep South's sweet tomato sauce, and Texas' smoked briskets), but also through the music associated with the locations. Therefore my playlist would be:

1. 'Round Midnight – Thelonious Monk (from Rocky Mount, NC, and always good to open up a party with a little jazz)

2. Soul Man – Sam & Dave (Memphis' Stax recording studio greats, guaranteed to get everyone socializing and grooving)

3. Cannonball – The Hackensaw Boys (Virginia banjo pickers and fiddle players who rock a fast and mean Appalachian bluegrass . . . this one will get everyone dancing, maybe working off a little of their pork coma)

4. Women Without Whiskey – Drive-By Truckers (Muscle Shoals southern rockers straight outta Alabama, plus by the end of this party who wouldn't want to be singing about whiskey?!)

5. Stay All Night (Stay A Little Longer) – Willie Nelson (one of the great forerunners of the Texas country music scene . . . this one would also express my sentiment towards all of my dear and close friends and family as everyone starts to leave . . . "Stay all night, stay a little longer/ Dance all night, dance a little longer/ Pull of your coat, throw it in the corner/ Don't see why you can't stay a little longer." Perfect.)

24. M

Jason Anderson – Jonesboro
    Deer Tick – Spend the Night
    Akron/Family – Raising the Sparks
    Band of Horses – Weed Party
    The Felice Brothers – Take This Bread

Posted July 24, 2009 at 11:12 am | Permalink

We have a winner! I try not to be the person picking the winner for contests anymore because I've gotten to know many of you and I try to be fair. So my intent was to ask a musician I know, and that didn't work out. So I tried someone that I know over at Alernative Press who is heavily involved in the music scene, but given that the event is this weekend, I didn't want to waste any more time. So I turned to my favorite music buff – my husband. Here are his thoughts:

Alright, this is a pretty tough assignment. Incredibly subjective. No absolute right or wrong. A lot of great song choices, but the challenges was to combine five songs that when brought together would embody the spirit and soul of the classic summer cookout. Not an easy task.

I’m almost embarrassed to admit, okay I’m definitely embarrassed to admit that kakaty’s play list conjured up some great memories from my summer breaks from college. “Summertime” will always hold a special place in my heart. Please forgive me. Even with the inclusion of my sentimental favorite, I don’t think given the challenge that this play list should get the award.

Emily Williams caught my attention with the first track in her list performed by Thelonius Monk. I’m a huge Monk fan and thought this was an interesting selection for a summer cookout. Combined with the other four songs in her list, the result is a strong southern vibe that would compliment any summer cookout.

I also really enjoyed Laura‘s (lstrauss75) list. I’m a huge blues fan and thought that this was a little unexpected at first, for a summer cookout. Thinking about some of the song selections, however, visions of smoke billowing from the grill as the baby back ribs get slathered in sauce came to mind. And mouth began to water. Nothing says summer cookout to me like BBQ on the grill. And blues seems like the perfect compliment. If Laura would have included “Love Light” by Bobby Bland, her list would have been perfect. However, it’s still close enough to be my favorite. Congratulations, Laura.