guy fieri has good taste (chef williams thoughts on being part of the show)

Back in March, I received a call from a producer with Page Productions, producers of Food Networks “Diners, Drives-Ins and Dives“. She was researching Cleveland for an upcoming show and wanted to know my favorite places to eat — and they didn’t necessarily have to be dives, but as she put it, cool, quirky, unique and still somewhat unknown. I gave her my picks, talked to her a few times between phone and e-mail and never heard from her again. Which is kinda becoming routine now – reporters, authors and producers from around the country do their research, find people like me, pick our brains and tease with opportunities, then poof – not a word until I hear/see/read about sans project like everyone else months later (not that I mind – I’m more than happy to talk food and share my thoughts with just about anyone!).

Cut to last month when I received an email from chef Eric Williams at Momocho telling me that they were selected for the show and to see if Jamie and I wanted to come in for the taping. I couldn’t type fast enough – of course a very big YES and thank you for including us! The catch – I couldn’t say anything until after (which is near impossible for me, but I made it – and to think, I could have “scooped” the local media…). At any rate, I was thrilled that Momocho, along with Lucky’s, were picked for Guy’s show. And it just so happens that those were two of the places I gave the producer (along with others I’m sure).

As we approached the restaurant last night, we were greeted by Guy’s old red convertible in mint condition parked out front (I’m a foodie, not a car enthusiast… corvette maybe?). As we entered, there was a small crew, big cameras and lights – and Guy Fieri, with an even bigger personality and a lot of big, bold, heavy bling. We sat down right in the middle of the restaurant and ordered drinks and dinner (adobo braised pork, grilled mahi mahi and albondigas – as always, absolutely amazing!) and just watched and listened with excitement as Guy interviewed Eric and other diners.

This was obviously exciting for us to watch and be part of, but just imagine how Eric Williams, Heather Haviland and the Geraci’s felt? Here’s some of what chef Eric Williams had to say about the experience:

His reaction to finding out: “Super excited and flattered, although I did ask the producer when she called me what category does Momocho fit into. It was explained to me that DDD focuses on one-off unique places. I’ve watched the show enough to know that Guy leads off the show by saying, ‘If you’re funky, we’ll find you.’ ”

First impression of Guy: “He’s for real. He says what he means and doesn’t hold back. He said throughout the filming that he loved everything by using his own lingo. By the way, he renamed the pork carnitas “thunder pork” and said he didn’t like the tortilla chips served with the guacs and salsas. He liked the fact we fried them to order but likes his chips to be thicker. He’s got a killer sense of humor and obviously loves his job. We had a great time cooking together. Guy also made plenty of time for autographs and pictures for customers and fans after filming.”

Guy in the kitchen: “Guy doesn’t cook much, his role during filming is to promote Momocho and get excited about what I was cooking – they want us to cook and show off what we do and how we do it. He gave his opinion on a couple things off camera but was really there to have fun.”

Favorite dishes he sampled: “He loved the machaca taquito (coffee and ancho braised beef brisket) – said they belonged in shamalamadingdong town!”

The overall experience: “Unbelievable experience. This is a great opportunity to promote Momocho and Cleveland’s culinary scene on a national level )DDD filmed at other Cleveland locations this week). Also, this is great for my staff. This gives them a little validation for all the hard work they do daily to make Momocho a success – especially my two chefs, Damon and Tom. These guys are unbelievable!”

His son Jackson’s thoughts: “Honestly a little disappointed. He thought they were going to film him cooking with me. We did drag a chair up to the kitchen so he could watch them tape some last minute details and recipes after everyone left. Plus guy signed a baseball hat for him and gave him the wristband off his arm – that made him really happy. He actually went to bed wearing the wristband.” I saw Eric’s son, Jackson, wearing the wristband and didn’t realize that at the time – very cool of Guy!

What went as expected and what didn’t go so well: “I don’t think it could have gone any better. The production crew was amazing. We banged out all the dishes and recipes under schedule. They had cool personalities and we played a couple pranks on each other – they made it a very easy and fun experience.”

Air date: “Should air in September/October. Food Network will send me a notice three weeks prior. We are planning a watch party at Momocho on that Monday night.

The one drawback to all of this? We’ve been loyal devotees to Lucky’s and Momocho for quite some time now. While I’m thrilled for the wonderful national coverage that’s ahead for my favorite city and restaurants, I won’t be so happy when I can no longer get a table! So seriously, if you’ve yet to go to Momocho or Lucky’s – what are you waiting for? Lucky’s is amazing for breakfast (and now Vine & Bean) and Momocho is hands-down the best modern Mexican restaurant – period.

1. avasil
    Posted July 15, 2009 at 8:37 am | Permalink

How exciting you got to be a part of that! I actually submitted Mike's Place in Kent as a place Guy should check out for DDD, but he had to cancel the day he was scheduled to tape. I saw him last November at the Food Show – he's awesome!

2. Candis
    Posted July 15, 2009 at 8:54 am | Permalink

What a cool experience. I heard he was going to be at MELT this week too. I still haven't been to Momocho, need to get there.

3. Adam
    Posted July 15, 2009 at 9:03 am | Permalink

i love cleveland! thanks for sharing! i'm not a huge media type, but you can come on my show any time!

4. Jamie
    Posted July 15, 2009 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Corvette? It was a Camaro RS convertible. I'm guessing a 1969?

5. Jamie
    Posted July 15, 2009 at 9:42 am | Permalink

I stand corrected. A 1967 Camaro SS.

Posted July 15, 2009 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Candis – I think he is at Melt right now and then the crew leaves today. And you need to get to Momocho – you're missing out on some seriously good eats!

Adam – what's your show?

Jamie – you are the car guy in the family. How silly of me not to check with you first. You know me – BMW, Hyndai – I can't tell the difference.

Avasil – Never been there, will put it on my list.

7. HD MM
    Posted July 15, 2009 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Anyone know the entire list of places Guy's going to? WKYC confirmed Geraci's, Momocho and Lucky's, but also said there would be SEVEN in all. I'm curious as to which others he picked.

Posted July 15, 2009 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

He's at Melt today and I also believe he was at Beachland Ballroom and Sterling and I'm not sure of the last one.

9. HD MM
    Posted July 15, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks Michelle. What about Slyman's? I think that would be a good place. That's kind of a dive.

Posted July 15, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Slyman's was on her original list, but I'm not sure if it was included.

11. Matthew
    Posted July 15, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is "Sterling" ? I've been to or heard of the rest, but Sterling? Never heard of it….

12. Allison M.
    Posted July 15, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

i love the goat cheese guac and the pineapple jicama one. Too freaking die for.

13. Posted April 2, 2010 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Good morning, Happy April Fool’s Day!!!

There once was a blind man who decided to visit Texas. When he arrived on the plane, he felt the seats and said, “Wow, these seats are big!”
    The person next to him answered, “Everything is big in Texas.”
    When he finally arrived in Texas, he decided to visit a bar. Upon arriving in the bar, he ordered a beer and got a mug placed between his hands. He exclaimed, “Wow these mugs are big!” The bartender replied, “Everything is big in Texas.”
    After a couple of beers, the blind man asked the bartender where the bathroom was located. The bartender replied, “Second door to the right.” The blind man headed for the bathroom, but accidentally tripped over and skipped the second door. Instead, he entered the third door, which led to the swimming pool, and fell into the pool by accident. Scared to death, the blind man started shouting, “Don’t flush, don’t flush!”

Happy April Fool’s Day!

14. Posted September 28, 2014 at 12:32 am | Permalink

It’s in fact very complicated in this full of activity life to
    listen news on TV, therefore I just use the web for that purpose, and take the
    most recent news.

15. Posted October 7, 2014 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really
    appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your further
    write ups thanks once again.

16. Posted November 16, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Good way of telling, and pleasant piece of writing too obtain data oon the topic of
    my presentation topic, whicxh i am going to present iin institufion of
    higher education.

17. Posted November 16, 2014 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Free radicals are removed by the amounts of polyphenols that is found in oolong tea chinese.
    For that reason, its main weight loss effect is to increase your metabolic rate.
    Additional risk factors, including social and economic status, diet,
    gender, physical activity, smoking, medical history, and use of antidepressant medications were also taken into consideration.

18. Posted December 13, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Most shoes or boots in your Basic Series have a delicate polyurethane
    foam insole coated using legitimate sheepskin and still
    have a new carved AVOI lighting along with accommodating outsole suitable for remarkable convenience using every single phase.
    You can also walk for long distances wearing rubber rain shoes with flat soles, because of the comfort it offers.
    This is due to the similar look and style that they have as normal shoes which matches well with different attires.

19. Posted December 15, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

The rating was a five out of five stars, however, at this time, there were only 9 reviews.
    This is the very reason that every pair of women’s hiking boots should be
    waterproof. Slide your gleaming feet into pair of a
    flirtatious thigh boots and allure men with your sensuous appearance.

20. Posted December 17, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Can you feel overwhelmed when college’s subject comes up?
    Is it true that the encounter appear confounding?

You aren’t the only one, if British curriculum schools
    in Dubai stresses you out. There is help! Appreciate British schools
    in Dubai! Through the use of this advice, you will discover International school in Dubai to be exciting.

21. Posted December 21, 2014 at 6:12 am | Permalink

What i do not understood is in truth how you’re no longer actually a lot more smartly-favored than you might be
    right now. You are very intelligent. You realize therefore considerably on the
    subject of this topic, made me individually consider it from so many varied angles.
    Its like women and men don’t seem to be involved
    until it is one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga!

Your own stuffs outstanding. All the time care for it up!

22. Posted December 30, 2014 at 7:31 am | Permalink

Heading to British school Abu Dhabi is an experience that
    can help you build a future that is better on your own and shape your personality.
    It is very important that you just consider your decision find a method
    to finance your education and carefully, examine
    programs and different schools. Read this short article for more information about
    English schools in Abu Dhabi.

23. Posted December 30, 2014 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Great blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of
    any user discussion forums that cover the same topics
    discussed here? I’d really like to be a part of community where I can get advice
    from other experienced people that share the same interest.
    If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Kudos!

24. Posted January 4, 2015 at 3:38 am | Permalink

office furniture auckland that is cheap does not need to be terrible looking.
    There are plenty of different ways you can find great-looking office furniture nz you will absolutely adore.
    You are going to have a terrific selection to pick from and a
    wide range of developer brands and knock-offs for the cost of
    the office furniture auckland that is modern that is expensive.
    You’re going to be amazed at exactly how easy it is going to be to find your

25. Posted January 4, 2015 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Hi my loved one! I want to say that this post
    is awesome, great written and come with approximately all important infos.
    I’d like to peer extra posts like this .

26. Posted January 7, 2015 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Hello colleagues, pleasant article and nice
    arguments commented here, I am really enjoying by these.

27. Posted January 9, 2015 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Use tthe tips we’ll cover in this article to find a great
    ddeal on a low-priced insurance package. Also, iit is based on the number off financial depenhdents buyer has.
    s breed is one with a higher risk of disease, this may cause
    your pet insurance prrmium to be higher.

28. Posted January 12, 2015 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

The Sonos app (which is included in the unit’s $699 retail price) lets
    you use i – Phone, i – Pad, Android, Mac or PC as the nerve centre.
    One should always try minimize the number of reflective surfaces such as glass or
    hardwoods and maximize softer surfaces using curtains and coverings.

These systems frequently contain a receiver, DVD player and numerous speakers.

29. Posted January 12, 2015 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

A beautiful piece of sound enhancer that can rule every corner of your house.
    One option is to setup an amplifier and surround sound speakers.

If all of us on board is older plenty of to consume, you can commonly have the bus outfitted with a completely-stocked moist bar.

30. Posted January 13, 2015 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

For those who have reached the test-drive portion of the motor vehicle purchasing procedure, you must have already narrowed your vehicle choices down to only a little smattering,
    and now you must understand how they each actually drives.

It’s best not to test-drive any vehicle as it is the way many dealers get an automobile that’s much more than that which you initially planned to be bought
    by you, you’ve not studied.

31. Posted January 14, 2015 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Have you ever done shopping shopping on the internet?
    You most likely understand that even though there
    are lots of similarities to traditional purchasing, there are a number
    of variations as well, if so. Due to that, you have so
    you can have the best possible deals to be trained on the procedure.
    Take a look at this article for outstanding advice which will help you in your ?????

????? ???????? efforts.

32. Posted January 15, 2015 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

The following quick guide shows some of what I discovered.

It additionally comes at home a variety of ensign, so you can pick the solitary to suits your elegance – Compelling promptly.
    outfitted with a completely-stocked moist bar.

33. Posted January 18, 2015 at 7:12 am | Permalink

Almost nothing can have the type of impact on your living space that interior design that is good can. However, many people
    lack the suitable knowledge of design concepts to get the most out of their dwellings.
    By heeding advice and the guidance in this column, you will have the necessary tools to create your own retreat that you don’t
    ever wish to leave.

34. Posted January 24, 2015 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Article writing is also a excitement, if you
    be familiar with then you can write if not it
    is complicated to write.

35. Posted January 29, 2015 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

You want it to be fun, exciting, and memorable,
    when your big day occurs. And what better approach to include life to reception or a marriage
    service by utilizing live wedding music than. Several other kinds
    of wedding songs or wedding rings are the perfect approach to
    include excitement to receptions and weddings. With a orkestra hizmetleri to develop an enjoyable experience for guests is getting
    to be quite popular nowadays, which is simple to begin to see the main reason why since wedding that is
    live songs supplies a big level of excitement to get an incredibly tiny amount
    of cash.

36. Posted January 30, 2015 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Awesome! Its truly remarkable paragraph, I have gott much clear ideaa on the topic of from this

37. Posted January 30, 2015 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

In considering about an archery fashion strategy to Write My Essay For Me,
    this component is similar to making an arrow for bowhunting.
    Break your investigation down in to distinct resources to get a faculty paper.
    Be sure you include sources which might be required by
    your instructor. At least one publication is generally required.

38. Posted January 30, 2015 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Whether it is one of many refined Complication designs,
    or the iconic Royal Oak off-shore, no real lover selection of Swiss timepieces will be whole without an Audemars Piguet Watches wristwatch.

39. Posted January 31, 2015 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Ever thought about what to give the “Person Who Has Everything”?
    A Gift Basket may be just the thing.My best friend has everything and when I say everything, “I Mean Everything”.

She’s been given or purchased every conceivable gadget available in the last 5 years.
    My best loves to shop.

40. Posted February 3, 2015 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Drapes are extremely important as they not only increase the rooms but
    in addition aid in controlling the level of light in them. Draperies keep the
    interference, as a result of undesirable
    issues, out of the room and give solitude. Bedroom curtains additionally act in the space
    as dielectrics and sound proofers.

41. Posted February 3, 2015 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Commercial genuine estate may be a tempting potential revenue source for
    house traders. Investors that are bright remain aware
    of the fact that commercial property is a different game from everyday residential real-estate, however.

This article presents a number of the specialized concerns actual property investors must remember when they decide to enter the industrial market.Knowing the cost of
    taxation in your area is an integrated portion of trading in show
    homes auckland. The amount you may pay in taxes can make the difference between a positive and negative cash flow.

Talk to your estate agent, the nearby municipalities,
    and a tax to get an excellent handle on your own tax situation.

42. Posted February 4, 2015 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Enterprise Re Source Planning system has been implemented
    by many of the firms to improve their internal procedures and to get an easy
    flow of information inside the many functional departments of the businesses.
    Lots of time time, efforts and cash are mixed up in ERP implementation procedure.
    ERP implementation’s cost depends and changes on several factors.
    The measurement of the complexity of the business-process and the company additionally decide the expense of ERP implementation. ERP
    involves a huge investment and also a proper analysis of the costs should be performed prior
    to the execution. Several processes which increase the price of ERP implementation are included by the execution of ERP.
    The ERP consultant provides the solutions in a high cost as well as the training also is an important determinant of the

43. Posted February 4, 2015 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Embarking on your first-year of British school Abu Dhabi is both stressful and exciting.
    That said, it could also be intimidating. Then you definitely won’t have to fear the encounters
    that are fresh if you come prepared. You will know precisely what to anticipate from English schools in Abu Dhabi life before you
    ever get there in case you are doing just a little study.

This report will help you get started.

44. Posted February 6, 2015 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Then you are aware of how difficult it really is to pull kids who play video games away
    from the television, for those who have them. Their eyes may be glued
    to the display for hours while they play with their preferred games.

Then the following article has some methods for you if you want assistance controlling your kids’ video
    game moment.

45. Posted February 11, 2015 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

In most other failures, when an ERP does not deliver business benefits, failing
    was called by it. In most cases, firm seeking to implement an ERP has some idea regarding the regions that can gain upon ERP
    implementation. When there is a company not able to cut back stock or improve stock turns, or
    reduce the amount or decrease company risks it must be termed as
    a failed execution. Merely creating a PO or an Indent in the ERP, can-not
    be consider achievement. That’s setting the bar too low on your own as well as for ERP.

46. Posted February 11, 2015 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

We concur there’s a separation and web site designers, there is a a completely different way of thinking going on on the website, However,
    the separation between front-end and back end
    is just incorrect. To be a great net developer you have to understand the full development period and to have
    the ability to get involved in the job from start to finish.

There’s also much to be learnt from the working using the technologies that are varying, but
    we are going to come to that.

47. Posted February 12, 2015 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Consider interior design, in the event you’re sick and tired of
    looking at the same old walls in your house lately!
    Giving any room in your own home a make-over may be satisfying interesting and also economically efficient.
    Consider the following pointers prepare to allow you to plan and generate your designer kitchens thoughts with fashion.

48. Posted February 12, 2015 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

When you have decided to start a restaurant business you
    are going to have to choose an area where your new venture may thrive.
    Location is of great significance to a restaurant business’ stability.
    There are lots of additional items to think about while you realize that
    you require an excellent restaurant place with a lot of room like indian takeaway
    auckland. The next offers a listing of selection criteria that may
    be used to assess how great there is a location that is

49. Posted February 25, 2015 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

These contemplating college have several concerns.
    School involves many encounters that are different; therefore, it’s crucial that you are well prepared
    prior to attending. Here is advice about private schools in Abu Dhabi so
    that you can be more prepared prepared.

50. Posted February 25, 2015 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

You need to take advantage of press releases, in the event that you’d like to use the internet to effectively market your company.
    Press retailers thrive on these news releases and they are able to provide great levels of promotion. With
    a growing number of media shops showing up in the web age, you’ve even more chances for good

51. Posted February 25, 2015 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

If you are searching for wedding gowns that are
    very cheap but nevertheless need a first quality gown afterward here are
    the secrets to finding a drop dead gorgeous wedding gown at a ridiculously affordable

52. Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:37 am | Permalink

Engaging in school is a significant accomplishment but it’s scarcely the time to
    rest on your own laurels. It a time to ramp-up you efforts and truly show an unbiased and accountable pupil
    you have become to the world what. This informative article
    contains many tips to enable you to take advantage of your college
    days and the get the schooling which you have worked so difficult
    to receive.

53. Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:50 am | Permalink

Mobile marketing can be quite intimidating to someone
    which hasn’t completed it before. It might very quickly lead to
    a little information overload because of all the sources open to fresh marketers.
    Here are some hints to aid you in getting all of this information coordinated so that you could start
    marketing effectively.

54. Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Are your creditors irritating you every day? Is
    it true that your telephone number never stop ringing because of the calls?
    Whether you possess hundreds or thousands, these few hints can help
    you produce a bargain with your creditors and reduce the debt by significant amounts.

55. Posted February 26, 2015 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

For some people, a pc that is pre built is not the
    solution to what they desire or desire. A visual designer will require something which takes into account computer parts nz
    that are heavily geared toward graphic-design, including a vast
    amount of RAM and a more full featured graphics card, while the tester may want something that offer a a lot more powerful sound set up and also
    a powerful 3 dimensional card.

56. Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

In the last few years, there really has been a move towards consulting a lighting expert when arranging a wedding.
    Rather than taking their venues how they’re, bridegrooms and brides
    are researching creative choices for personalizing their wedding, setting
    a mood, concealing features that are unattractive, and
    highlighting types that are lovely. It is a synopsis of the ways specialty
    wedding lighting hire can be utilized to improve a wedding.

57. Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Irrespective of if you want it or not, vodafone telephone number| vodafone number
    is a significant part promotion in today’s world of business.
    Just shop around about and you’ll notice examples of it everywhere
    - from text messaging, to in-game ads, to the net that is mobile.

This article will provide hints on how to work with it to best suit your needs.

58. Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

If mobile-marketing has not been used by you to market,
    you need to think about this latest promotion medium.

Read this informative article for some excellent guidance and see if it really is a good
    fit for you. It might be the most effective form of advertising that you’ve hit on however.

One Trackback