i scream, you scream

jeni's_vogueThis past holiday weekend, I can now scratch off three more flavors of Jeni’s that I’ve tried: Influenza Sorbet, Thai Chili and Red Hot Apple Cider sorbet.

I wasn’t as crazy about Thai Chili but really enjoyed the Influenza Sorbet and Apple Cider (though no one else in my family seemed as wowed by the Influenza Sorbet nor did they find the name as funny as I did). This sorbet, which contains OJ, Maker’s Mark and cayenne pepper, starts of somewhat sweet and refreshing then kinda burns (in a good way) down your throat. It’s different, but good. Really good.

In an e-mail from Jeni (Britton), she shares her picks for must-try holiday flavors:  Blackstrap praline, Makenzie Creamery goat cheese with cognac figs and brown butter almond brittle (the brittle is made in their kitchen with brown butter, sugar and almonds).

And how cool is this – check out the bottom right of the above picture. That’s Jeni’s getting some love from Vogue in their annual gift guide.

As far as a retail presence in Cleveland goes, she said they are still considering it. “We would love to do it, but just have to make it all work with production,” she explained.

One last tidbit she shared. Apparently Anthony Bourdain was recently in Columbus visiting with her (for an upcoming show I assume?) and was talking highly – and a lot, about Cleveland. Of course he was, we’re awesome!

If you haven’t tried Jeni’s yet, get youself to Miles Farmers Market to purchase a few pints (Greenhouse Tavern has on their menu, too). Best. Ice cream. Ever.

1. Posted November 30, 2009 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

mmm, I love Jeni’s! They carry it at Bar Cento too, or at least they used to. I visited their location at North Market in C-bus and it took me at least 5 minutes to pick my flavor after tasting A LOT of them. Sure hope they expand to Cleveland.

2. Nicole
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

I’ve been a fan of Jeni’s for years, it’s amazing! Hoping they will be in CLE soon!

3. Posted November 30, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

That influenza sorbet sounds really interesting and I love the name. The episode of No Reservations where Bourdain is given the guided tour of Cleveland by Michael Ruhlman might be one of my favorites. I’ve said to my wife, only half joking, that we should make the drive to Cleveland one time when we go to visit family in Rochester so we can eat at Michael Symon’s restaurants.

4. steve
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

The current flavors at Bar Cento include the Red Hot Cider, which really is the taste of red hots candies and cider. And the Blackstrap Praline, yumm, yumm. And the old favorite Salty Caramel. Our last time thru Columbus was too early in the day, as they open at noon. We will plan better next time I suspect.

5. Posted November 30, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

I was just in Columbus for the holiday weekend and went to Jeni’s. Always delicious, I just went simple and got a single mash-up with Ohio Pumpkin 5-spice and Dark Chocolate Gelato in a fresh waffle cone. Heaven! I feel like it’s so close but yet so far since i’m a Cbus native in Cleveland.

6. Posted November 30, 2009 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

i wish i had a bowl full of the chocolate cayenne pepper right now.

7. Ryan
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Generally speaking, how many flavors are available at Miles? I’d love to try the Mackenzie Creamery Goat Cheese one or the Almond Brittle.

8. Michelle V
    Posted December 1, 2009 at 8:03 am | Permalink

You’re right – Bar Cento does carry. Anyone else I’m missing?

PJ: You really should – Rochester is a close, easy drive. It’s amazing how many people come here now just for the food – for Symon’s places and others. We have great eats and a lot of other cool things to check out (besides the Rock Hall!).

Ryan: They probably have 10 or so flavors. From what I’ve seen, they do seem to carry the seasonal items plus the favs. If it’s a drive for you, just call first to make sure they have it. As of Sunday, I didn’t see any of the new flavors Jeni mentioned but I’m guessing that will change soon.

9. Ryan
    Posted December 1, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Michelle!

10. steve
    Posted December 2, 2009 at 11:06 am | Permalink

They also have a dessert at The Greenhouse Tavern called Jeni’s and Keri’s, featuring Jeni’s ice cream and Keri Garcia’s cookies.

11. Posted December 5, 2009 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

The Thai Chili is probably my favorite!

12. Posted December 6, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

I feel that I should clarify that Bourdain was not meeting with me…I just went and saw him perform his show – it was there that he was speaking highly of his experiences in Cleveland! And of Columbus!!!

13. Posted December 6, 2009 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

And thanks for all the love!!! Thai Chili might be my favorite also – especially at our shops where we make the One Night in Bangkok Sundae – Thai Chili ice cream with our caramel, a banana, Spanish peanuts, hand-whipped Snowville Creamery cream!