thanksgiving entertaining: tips, wine & more

Obviously, you’ve caught on that I like to go out to eat. But for as much as we enjoy going out (and writing about it), I absolutely love to entertain. Whether it’s a couple of friends for a last-minute weekend dinner, or as it’s often the case with us given the size of my family, hosting a larger gathering like a holiday. There’s just something about spending the day cooking and prepping then sit back and watch guests eat, mingle and drink. I’m always on the lookout for cool ideas to help with my gatherings. Whether it’s for inspiration, ways to simplify the work or to add to the decor, I have a drawer full of thought starters and ideas I’ve tore out of magazines or have learned from friends’ parties. With Thanksgiving next week, here are a couple simple ones in case you’re playing host. And if you have a favorite entertaining tip, please share!

And speaking of the holidays, perhaps you’d like to improve your cooking skills or learn a new dish. If so, leave a comment, any comment, between now and Friday for a chance to win a class for two to Viking Cooking School, courtesy of Heinen’s (valued at $200). There are no restrictions; you can pick any class you’d like.

• When planning the menu, I always look for dishes that can be made/prepped ahead of time, then  finished right before the party. And for anything that I have to fry, like potato pancakes (I make these a lot for parties), I fry the night before then heat day of so the house doesn’t smell.
  • Speaking of smells, if I do have to fry something, or using a strong spice that I don’t want to overpower the house (like curry), I leave out small dishes of vinegar to soak up the odors while cooking.
  • I have a lot of random, mismatched wine and champagne glasses. For an easy centerpiece, I flip about 5 over, different sizes and shapes, and use as candle holders. Another easy option is to take a shoe box, wrap in white paper (or cool fabric) and fill with seasonal fruit, twigs and/or leaves.
  • I like using pears as place cards because of how it looks on the table. Just put the guest’s name around the stem.
  • Another last-minute centerpiece idea is to take a mirror (preferable one with an ornate border) and place on the table. Place simple glass votives on top. If no votives then cupcake foils can be used as disposable ones.
  • Carving pumpkins isn’t just for Halloween. Instead of faces, carve a bunch of circles, straight lines, etc. The result will be a cool design when lit for the porch, fireplace, etc.

____________________________________________________________

This post was sponsored by Heinen’s. Here are some additional ideas courtesy of the team at Heinen’s, as well as their Thanksgiving wine guide:

• Heinen’s offers a lot of pre-chopped items, including celery and onions, to helpHeinen's Logo PMS 350 & 209 speed holiday prep.
  • Want a unique first course to your Thanksgiving dinner?  Try Heinen’s new Fresh Pumpkin Bisque.  Creamy and sweet pumpkin puree that is gently blended with light cream, sweet potatoes and a delicate medley of herbs and spices.
  • Heinen’s Pumpkin Pies – be sure to order your pies early, fresh baked in the stores daily.
  • Heinen’s Pumpkin Rolls – made from scratch in our own Heinen’s kitchen, our Pumpkin Rolls are moist cake with just the right combination of pumpkin and spices. The filling is a blend of our own butter cream and cream cheese icing.
  • Two Brothers Brownies – decadent and delicious, they will give your guests something to be thankful for.
  • Heinen’s Artisan Breads – Baked throughout the day so no matter what time of day you shop; you have fresh, out-of-the-oven bread.  Heinen’s is committed to the craft of quality artisan bread that contains only natural ingredients and no artificial preservatives.  Enjoy our variety of over 15 offerings.
  • Heinen’s Homemade Hors d’oeuvres – Do you want in on the one of our best kept secrets?  Three words – Heinen’s Homemade Hors d’oeuvres.   You will love these, they’re elegant and delicious.  We offer an extensive array of flavors and selections that make entertaining easy and add festivity to any occasion.  All of our hors d’oeuvres are prepared fresh in our own kitchen.  So, even if you’re an accomplished host, why not let Heinen’s be your chef.  Start something delicious at your next get together with Heinen’s hors d’oeuvres.
  • Heinen’s Shrimp – We by far offer the best shrimp on the local market. It’s pond raised in Ecuador and cooked right in our stores several times a daily to ensure freshness—a direct contrast to previously cooked and then frozen cocktail shrimp.  Serve it with our famous family-recipe Heinen’s Cocktail Sauce that we make right in the stores too.
  • Heinen’s Party Platters – For a quick no-fuss party.  Heinen’s Party Platters offer delicious options for any occasion including holiday parties or family get togethers.  Ask a Heinen’s Prepared Foods or Deli Associate for assistance in ordering a Heinen’s Party Platter.

Thanksgiving Wine Guide

• 2007 Vin Hunter Pinot Noir // The hunt to find a truly great Pinot Noir to put my name on is finally over, and let me tell you, it was worth the wait!  The grapes for this silky and sexy wine were grown in one of the best regions in Cali for producing Pinot Noir, the Sonoma Coast appellation (wines from the neighbors here start the meter running at 40 bucks a bottle).  Instead of telling the tale of exactly what was involved to procure such a wine at such a tremendous price, I’d rather expound simply on one point – you will not find a Pinot Noir with this pedigree and deliciousness at this price ever again.  It ain’t bragging if you can do it, and such a statement is more truthful than it is bold.  Complex flavors of dried cherry, earth and spice are packed on a juicy and lingering frame that begs for food (insert gobble, gobble here).  I really can’t wait for you to taste this utterly delicious wine!
  • 2008 Vin Hunter Chardonnay // Wine, like real estate is all about location, location, location.  Simply put, the more specific a growing area a wine is grown in, the more expensive and unique the wine will be.  You can search long and far to find a Chardonnay that hails from such a prestigious location (Sonoma’s Alexander Valley) that sells for such a great price – in fact, don’t waste your time, there’s really nothing else that can compare to this one!  What’s most impressive about this vibrant white is that while there was fermentation and aging of a portion of the wine in oak, the wine still retains zippy acidity that preserves a mouthwatering freshness.  The oak contributes flavor, not heaviness, and marries perfectly with ripe apple and tropical notes.  This wine has everything except a hefty price tag.  Get ready to look like a rock star when you serve this to your guests on Thanksgiving.
  • 2005 OVZ Zinfandel // While powerfully flavorful, still manages to not dominate food flavors.  In fact, this one is so food-friendly that we marked it long ago as a ‘great Thanksgiving wine.’  Ripe berry flavors and hints of black pepper are supported by chewy yet smooth tannins on this classically-styled Lodi Zin.
  • 2008 Genesis Viognier // The Heinen’s Wine Consultants discovered this ripe and delicious white during a visit to the Hogue Cellars in Washington State a few months ago.  The wine had been only available at the Hogue tasting room, but after some serious arm-twisting we were able to latch onto a few precious cases.  We are excited that our ‘bargaining skills’ will allow us to share this hugely aromatic, complex and fun wine with our customers.  We hope you enjoy our discovery.
  • Wild Rush Pinotage // After years of searching (and a lot of tasting) we are please to introduce the wines from Wild Rush that you’ll find exclusively in BIN 75.  This South Africa winery produces some of the most extraordinary wine values imaginable – so good in fact that we have added our BIN 75 logo to the bottles to acknowledge that they truly are among the best wines money can buy!  Wild Rush Pinotage can be found in the Light Bodied Red category, and is a densely-colored treat is loaded with red fruit flavors on a smooth frame.
  • Perfect to bring as a host gift // Vin Hunter Exclusive Buy – 2003 etoilé Rosé by Chandon  has scored 90+ point scores from Wine Enthusiast and Wine Spectator, is made by one of this country’s most famous Sparkling Wine producers and is the best Sparkling Wine value in America that’s available only to Heinen’s customers.
  • Fact is, this magnificent bottle of Bubbles is one of the best values Vin Hunter has ever had the pleasure to sell. He doesn’t have nearly enough to meet the demand once the word gets out. So don’t miss your opportunity to grab this unprecedented value on a great Sparkler while supplies last. ($19.99 Vin Hunter Exclusive Price – save $26)

1. Laura
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Wow – Those are some good ideas. I’ve never thought of the upside down, mismatched glasses idea. I think I’ll use that one. Thanks!

2. Posted November 17, 2009 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Love the OZV Zin!

3. Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Wow, there are some fabulous ideas in there. Like you, I love to entertain as well!

4. B Hallisy
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Love the pear placeholder idea–and the clever use of mismatched wine glasses. What are some examples of veggie dishes that can be made in advance?

5. Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Here’s a dessert tip:

Safe yourself the hassle and order some of the awesome Thanksgiving pies and desserts at Lucky’s Cafe in Tremont (then pass it off as your own if you’d like). This year I’m going with their Pumpkin Black Currant Brioche Bread Pudding. Mmmmmm.

6. Jason
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:10 am | Permalink

You had me a “pumpkin roll.” A once a year treat that I can never get enough of.

7. Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Mmmm, I love entertaining too and now I have more time and some more help. Thanks Michelle.

8. Mina
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:26 am | Permalink

I would love to sharpen my cooking skills! And thanks for the great tips!

9. Missy
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:37 am | Permalink

A cooking class is just what I need. I love to cook, but I’m not the best.

10. Krystal
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:39 am | Permalink

For those of us who are heading out for Thanksgiving dinner, any recommendations?

11. Emily Lauren
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Ooh! I’d love to win a trip to cooking school!

Thanks for the idea on the wine-glass candleholders. Nice one.

12. David F.
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:49 am | Permalink

When I have something to fry, especially large batches, I move a vehicle from my garage to the street and use the garage as my frying room.

13. Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:52 am | Permalink

I do not like entertaining for large amounts of people. I’d rather be the one sitting back, drinking and enjoying the food. :)

That being said, YAY! cooking classes — since the boyfriend and I cook at home most nights. Well, HE cooks for ME, and I wouldn’t mind returning that favor (and, ahem, “sharpening” my skills).

14. Posted November 17, 2009 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Last year for my birthday my husband got me a class at Viking Cooking School and I took the knife skills class. I can’t beleive how much more efficent I am in the kitchen now! I’d love to take level 2 of knife skills (learn how to debone a chicken, whoo-hoo!).

…and thanks @allisonpeltz for making Michelle make these contests easier to enter! :)

15. Posted November 17, 2009 at 10:14 am | Permalink

This will be the first Thanksgiving I am hosting on my own, in my house. I think I will be at Heinens a lot. In the prepared food section, of course.

My cooking needs help.

16. Allison
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Thanks for the tips! I’m already thinking of Christmas dinner since it will be the first holiday I will be hosting for my family. I have my appetizer menu set….a variety of cheeses, cured meats, and fruits with bread from Blackbird Baking Co. The less food I actually have to cook the better!

17. Nicole
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 10:55 am | Permalink

My first year hosting Thanksgiving- Thanks for the tips!

My best tip for any dinner party- plan ahead. And make as possible much ahead of time, that way you can relax and enjoy!

Would love to take a cooking class :)

18. Erik
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I like to shop at Heinen’s and I’m sure I will before Turkey Day.

19. Rosemarie
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 11:22 am | Permalink

What great ideas! I’m happy I was able to get my great-aunt’s recipe for her AMAZING pumpkin rolls! Too often recipies like that are lost, and i’m looking forward to making it this year!

20. Posted November 17, 2009 at 11:32 am | Permalink

LeBron James keeps sending flowers to my GF. If I win this Heinen’s contest, a class for two to the Viking Cooking School, I may have a chance.

21. Cara W.
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I CANNOT wait to start entertaining. My boyfriend is a grad student and we currently live in a very small apartment!

These are great ideas. Thank you for posting this. I have never been to Heinen’s but really want to make the trip (especially if they start selling Jeni’s Ice Creams!!)

22. David Z.
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your blog, Michelle. Always good content, and always with a local twist.

23. Heather Kessen
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I always bring something new to the table at my in-laws house. Will be looking for my ideas this weekend!

24. Debra
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

While I generally like and frequently read your blog, I have to admit I find the Heinen “sponsored” posts kind of tiresome (especially coming in such quick succession).

25. Mandi
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

you actually gave me the best tip last year. i took your advice and have been ordering salumi from salumi cured meats in seattle for the past year. my order is already in for this thanksgiving. it’s the best!

26. Michelle V
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Mandi: Did you try the mole? That’s my fav! I can’t wait for my order this year, too. I’m so happy to hear you tried them!

Debra: Thanks for your candid feedback. You may not want to read for the next few months then because I’m going to be doing much more with them :) It doesn’t alter my opinion or change the way I think. I get that some people may not like it, but I don’t get paid for this and people don’t have to read if they don’t like. Allowing certain advertisers allows me to keep going to places and sharing things. It’s a lot of work (on top of a full time job and raising a family) and I do it because I genuinely like it, love this city and love talking food. And I’ve gotten to know the folks at Henein’s (plus I’ve been a regular shopper for years). It’s a good fit, I like many of their products and I like what they do for the communtiy. And I really like the posts that I have planned with them. A lot of good insight – a deeper look at our local farmers and purveyors, chef recipes, reviews, etc. I’m really excited actually – it’s a great thing for Ceveland Foodie and will allow me to provide so much more to readers.

27. Jenn
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I waste money on meat all the time. In an attempt to be more financial I have been buying some of the prepared meals from Heinen’s deli and have been so satisfied with the yummy taste and excellent quality of foods! To top it off…I have been saving about $10 on food. That is great news for a single girl!

28. Posted November 17, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

when i entertain i like make a big pot of soup and serve it in all different shapes and sizes and colors of coffee cups. its a great way to eat soup, and it also makes the table look funky with all different styles of mugs…

29. Jyll
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

We love to entertain for our family or just for ourselves – We don’t even need a holiday!

30. jay
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

A chance to take a class on knife skills? Put me in the running! Thanks much.

31. Carlin
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Hmmm, cooking classes, great! good looking Michelle! great articles by the way!

32. Melinda
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I would love a class, what a fun night out.

33. Brian
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Very informative… I’m new to the blog but really enjoying the posts. Keep up the good work!

34. Andrew
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

I would love love love the class.

35. Susan
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Love your blog, and thanks for the tips. Table45 had a good Thanksgiving deal last year- $25 for Thanksgiving dinner!

36. Wendy
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Vinta Crackers are great to have on hand during the holidays, especially when you have great cheese or salumi kicking around. I can only find them at Heinen’s.

37. Chandra
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I enjoy your blog and I’d love a cooking class :)

38. Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

comment? I guess i can say more then that. One thing i’ve learned from doing Thanksgiving for 20+ people the last 10 years is plan your shopping lists well. And don’t try to get it all done in one day. I normally go shopping 3 times, once for dry foods, once for specialty items and once for fresh produce. So on the sunday before i’ll get the dry stuff, specialty items on tuesday and fresh produce on wednesday.

39. Emmy
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

This post and the new thanksgiving target ads make me wish I could entertain more!! I just need a bigger place and an actual dining table…. :)

40. steve
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 9:57 am | Permalink

What I should have started out in my email to you is that your entertaining tips were very helpfull. As I’m not the one who sets the table up at our house,design not really being my forte. I usually stick to doing some of the cooking and food prep,selecting appropriate wines from the cellar, and making sure the music fits the mood and continues playing.

41. Beth
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Great ideas. Thanks Michelle and Heinen’s!

42. Kimberly Rush
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Loving all the contests lately. AND, the wine suggestions. Always looking for good ones!

43. Eric
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Thank you!

44. Posted November 18, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Great ideas! thankfully with the house all coming together I might start hosting things here again.

A quick and inexpensive table cloth idea is to get a flat sheet from the store. Washes great and isn’t too long.

45. Angela
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait for thanksgiving and would LOVE to go to a Viking cooking class!

46. Posted November 19, 2009 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Any help i could get would be great. lets get cookin!

47. Posted November 19, 2009 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

We’re buying a house, finally, and hopefully won’t have to travel to Thanksgiving — with multiple dishes and much of our kitchen in tow — anymore.

Cooking classes would be a great holiday present.

48. Posted November 19, 2009 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the Thanksgiving tips! I would LOVE to win the Viking GC! There’s a Thai cooking class that I’ve heard awesome things about!

49. Christina
    Posted November 19, 2009 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the ideas! I think i’ll try out the wine glass/candle holder one this year.

Viking school is tha bomb :) Took a french date night class there with my husband and it was so much fun!

50. Emilie
    Posted November 19, 2009 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

This was a superb post with lots of great ideas.
    Thank you.

51. Posted November 19, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

I’d love to win a cooking or grilling class for me and my Dad!

52. Joe
    Posted November 19, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Cooking School would be rocking!

GOBBLE GOBBLE!

53. Carrie
    Posted November 19, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

I love to entertain as well! I try to prep ahead and make things in stages.

For more casual gatherings, I serve a bunch of appetizers so that there’s plenty of food, but I don’t really cook. Antipasto, pickled things, olives, meats, cheeses, spreads, fruits, veggies, nuts, loafs of bread – nicely arranged and thoughtfully paired. I also get plenty of chocolates, truffles, and pastries (from a decent grocer or bakery) – Trader Joe’s is great for inexpensive and elegant sweets. Plenty of beautiful and tasty things to eat but very little work for me : )

54. Posted November 19, 2009 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

I love Viking Cooking School. And for the record, my dessert of choice is the Mustard Seed’s pumpkin bread pudding. It is amazingly addictive.

55. Posted November 20, 2009 at 12:56 am | Permalink

I am not going to pretend I am leaving a comment here for any reason other than being entered in this drawing. The End.

56. Cindy
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for the Thanksgiving tips! I am so glad I discovered your excellent blog!

57. Michelle V
    Posted November 21, 2009 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks for entering and sharing additonal ideas. A winner was randomly chosen and it’s Beth, #41. Congrats and enjoy the class!