celebrating february 14

I have a confession to make. I don’t like Valentine’s Day. With the exception of elementary school when you used to pass out little valentines to your classmates and collect a bunch in return (and eat way too many candy hearts and laugh at the messaging), I’ve never been a fan. Single or in a relationship, I just never saw the point. And when I worked at the old Alexander’s Flowers throughout high school, I grew to dislike it even more (there’s nothing worse than spending days on end de-thorning roses. This is also the reason I’m not particular fond of roses – I much prefer tulips and Gerber daisies). Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of love and romance and all that it entails. But a special day? No thanks.

That being said, I’m all for any occasion – Hallmark holiday or not – that calls for creating a special dinner, or trying a new dish. This year, Jamie comes in off the Red eye from LA on V day, so I haven’t really thought much about what we’ll do; I’ll just be happy to have him back home and the band back together.

If you’re staying in and planning a special dinner, or just want a little treat, here are Heinen’s picks for Valentines that I think are worth considering. In fact, I may not wait until he comes home to try the cheese.

Frost Bitten Ice Riesling // This wine is made from grapes that are frozen post-harvest to concentrate the flavors of the juice. The result is a wine of incredible richness with undeniable flavors of ripe pineapple, candied apricots and pears. Enjoy this wine with a wide variety of desserts, including Carr Valley bread cheese. ($11.99/375 ml bottle)

Carr Valley Bread Cheese // Excellent served savory or sweet, bread cheese is a unique cow’s milk cheese that is at its best when warmed. Drizzle with honey or maple syrup for a decadent brunch idea on Valentine’s Day. ($8.99 lb.)

Rogue Chocolate Stout // We’ve found a delicious beer that tastes incredibly good with chocolate because it’s made with imported chocolate. ($5.49/22 oz. bottle)

Oh, and if your significant other doesn’t have an aversion to roses, they are on special for $19.99 – lots of colors, too.

So in the spirit of Valentine’s Day, what is your favorite thing about your significant other, child, pet or any relationship you hold dear? For me, I love my husband more than anything for thousands of reasons. I’m a better person because of him. But his dry humor, sarcasm, and the fact that he makes me laugh even when I want to scream, is high on the list. What about you? Leave a comment with your thoughts, and one of you will be randomly picked to win a $50 Heinen’s gift card.

1. Posted February 9, 2010 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Yeah, I don’t like V-day either. Just a way to have you spend even more money on your honey than you already do. That Rogue Chocolate Stout is worth spending your $$ on though!

2. Alana
    Posted February 9, 2010 at 10:54 am | Permalink

For special occasions (birthdays, anniversaries, etc.) I get to order off my hand-written menu that includes options like surf and turf, crab legs, stuffed pork chops, scallops, and much more. Who needs to go out when you have your own (self-proclaimed) chef at home?

3. Jessica
    Posted February 9, 2010 at 11:21 am | Permalink

My favorite thing about my significant other is his constant love and support of me and all of my idiosyncrasies, while keeping me grounded when I need to be.

4. Posted February 9, 2010 at 11:56 am | Permalink

We aren’t much into Valentine’s Day either, but we created our own little tradition a few years ago when my wife was pregnant with our son. I make tomato bisque and paninis, hit up the local french bakery for some pastries and we want a movie. Since my wife is pregnant again this year, she’s looking forward to staying home even more.

5. Heather
    Posted February 9, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

My favorite thing about my husband is that he can roll with just about anything that comes our way involving our kids-illnesses, tantrums, you name it, he just deals. I actually like Valentine’s Day because my daughter gets so excited to pass out her Valentine’s and Chocolate apples rolled in sprinkles that we make.

6. Posted February 9, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

We are treating ourselves to Light Bistro this Saturday night, but Valentine’s Day will be spent with family as my aunt is getting married that afternoon!

I love my husband for putting up with me on a daily basis: I can be a hot mess at times, but he’s always kind, caring and patient. I also love his passion for Cleveland sports – there is no off-season in my house! He is my rock and couldn’t live without him. I am a very lucky woman!

7. Posted February 9, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

the Mister and I are still finalizing our menu for V-day — we are making a special meal together at home.

I happen to LOVE valentines day, over-commercialized or not ;)

that bread cheese sound di-vine!

8. rachel
    Posted February 9, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I’m actually looking forward to Valentine’s Day this year–my guy’s thoughtfulness and humor has won me over.

9. Rosemarie
    Posted February 9, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

He keeps me grounded and calm. He is an extremely generous person. We also do not celebrate Valentine’s Day, we are much more apt to make a fun dinner and watch a movie at home without any thought of the “holiday”. That reisling sounds good though!

10. Posted February 9, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I LOVE Valentine’s Day because it’s my birthday and the entire country celebrates with me.

I turn 30 this year and we are celebrating at Bar Cento / Bier Market on Saturday night. Feel free to stop up.

11. Wendy
    Posted February 9, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

I’m with you on the gerber daisies and tulips! The thing I love most about my husband (besides the fact that he cooks my every meal) is that he still amuses me after all these years. I’m still chuckling over the fact that he had to go buy a new scrub brush today to clean his bathroom. He threw the old one away because he left it in his shower too long and it got moldy. Classic!

12. Posted February 10, 2010 at 8:39 am | Permalink

I love Valentines day because its a day you not only can tell that one person in your life how much they mean to you, but to me its also a day to tell family and friends that I love them and I love that they are in my life! Good excuse to pick up the phone and call someone you love.

13. DaC
    Posted February 10, 2010 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Valentine’s Day is nice because my girlfriend would rather stay home and enjoy a nice meal with some good wine than hit a restaurant.

14. Posted February 10, 2010 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Thank you for mentioning Frost Bitten Ice Riesling. It is also great with creme brulee for those who what to go the extra mile to show appreciation.

15. joe p
    Posted February 10, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Because my wife is a great person and a great cook.

16. Renee
    Posted February 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

I’m sort of on the fence about Valentine’s Day. I don’t like the commercialized aspect of it, but I do love any excuse to have a quiet night at home together. I’ve been really enjoying chocolate stouts lately, so we may skip the traditional bottle of red wine and instead sip on a craft beer this year. Great suggestion.

As for my favorite thing about my husband- it’s really as simple as he just makes every aspect of life more enjoyable.

17. Kristen
    Posted February 11, 2010 at 8:13 am | Permalink

My favorite thing about my hubby is that he is truly my best friend.

18. sushi
    Posted February 11, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

favorite thing about my boyfriend is that he laughs at ALL of my cheesy jokes, and completely “gets” me

19. Michelle V
    Posted February 14, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Alicia/#6 – you win! Send me an e-mail so I can get your address for the gift card. Congrats and hope everyone is enjoying their Valentine’s Day!