best pizza in cleveland?

I was in the 8th grade when my mom’s boyfriend (now my stepdad) brought over Little Caesar’s pizza. This marked the first time (as best as I can recall) that we had takeout pizza. Needless to say, I didn’t need to know anything else about this guy – he brought us pizza and thus won us over.

You see, if we wanted pizza, my mom would just make it (and still does to this day). Sure, we ate out occasionally for pizza (my family, specifically my grandma, was very close to the Geraci’s so growing up this was a regular stop for us – though I must admit I find their pizza now not as good as then). And of course there was mall pizza. Throughout the 1980s, I would look forward to trips to Randall Mall solely for a slice of pizza from Scotto’s. The slice was as thin and flimsy as the paper plate it was served on but man was it good. I was also a fan of Antonio’s inside the old food court at Beachwood Place (when they still had that glass elevator in the center, which I also thought was the coolest thing as a kid). Thicker with a slight burn on the cheese. And then there was the two hometown places I remember fondly: Mama Joe’s and the long gone but not forgotten Carlo’s, both in Solon. I have to wonder that if given a slice of any of the above today, if they would taste as good as I remember.

Food itself is incredibly subjective. And when it comes to pizza, look out. You’d think you were discussing politics. Deep dish. Thin. Sweet sauce. Bianca. Foodie pizzas with eggs or truffles or potatoes. To the belief that under no circumstances do any of the aforementioned belong atop a pizza and if so, do not qualify as such. People are a passionate lot when it comes to their beloved pizza pie.

A recent trip to DeGaetano’s in Village Square for family pizza night sparked this post after many people proclaimed their love for their go-to pizza joint on Facebook. And I have to admit; I don’t have one (but am on a constant quest).

Yes, there’s Mama Santa’s in Little Italy that automatically gets the bulk of votes. And I’d throw a few their way, too. I love the atmosphere and you can’t beat the prices. My husband has friends that come up for Youngstown just to pick up some pies to take back home. We can be found there often. But the pizza can be hit or miss for me. Sometimes it’s undercooked and the sauce tastes off to pure pizza perfection.

I have tried Valentino’s, also in Little Italy. People just rave about them. On the couple of occasions I had it, I’m sorry to admit I wasn’t wowed. Maybe I’m not trying the right pizza?

In Cleveland Heights, we’re big fans of Marotta’s. This might actually be my favorite in town. But I tend to forget about this little place and wish we went more often.

On the west side, we were recently introduced to Danny Boy’s via my sister and brother-in-law. They are big fans of this place. And though we could see its appeal, I felt the crust was way too thick and sauce too sweet for my liking. I’ve been told that you can order certain pizzas as thin crust (or at least as thin as they are willing to go) so next time we’ll have to try that.

When I lived in South Euclid, I would often pick up a slice of pizza (or a side of meatballs) from Tasty Pizza in Lyndhurst. This was pretty good and in ways reminded me of Mama Joe’s in Solon.

Finally, I continue to hear positive reviews for Crostatas in Highland Heights and have had every intention of trying for myself, but again, forget about them until it’s too late. But I am eager to and hope that if all I’ve heard to date rings true, Crostatas could become our pizza place.

So, where else should we go? Where’s your go-to pizza place? Or do we give up, pick up some dough from Alesci’s and start making our own?

1. Posted September 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Sweet Basil 26235 Center Ridge Rd. Westlake

2. don
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

fratello’s–7121 W.130 Parma Hts.–moved from Pearl rd. Real cheese,great sause,sausage,dow.
    I’ve tried many, but this is the best.

3. E M Fodor
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Best Pizza is Angelos in Lakewood Ohio

4. Gail
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 6:38 am | Permalink

angelo`s in Lakewood…Villa Rosa in Cleveland!New to Angelo`s…never disappointed.I have Been going to Villa Rosa my entire life…So good.The one I miss the most who had to move away to Mentor is Maxim`s.I know it sounds silly,but it is best cold or room temp.Grew up on that as well.Nothing like it!

5. Douglas Murawski
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 10:15 am | Permalink

I have eaten at many pizza places over the last 40 years and the best pizza served is Frankies in North Olmsted. It is always fresh and the best taste – they do not scimp on toppings – just the best pizza’s I have ever eaten.

6. Faith Bye
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

We love the pizza at Pizza Bogo. They have every kind including special gourmet pizzas or old favorites. They have a great crust which we appreciate being former New Yorkers.

7. westparkfoodiefreak
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I tried a new pizza place located in a bar; and, no it was not Geppetos/Johnny Malloys.  Its called Brothers Pizza located in Riverside Pub in West Park. It was really pretty good.  They have “unique” pizzas.  For instance, I tried a pizza called a “Mexicali”.  It was probably one of the most unexpectedly flavorful pizzas I have ever had.  They are nice guys with really good food, not just pizza. @brospizzaco

8. Posted December 26, 2013 at 1:56 am | Permalink

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
    I am quite certain I will learn many new stuff right here!
    Good luck for the next!

9. Posted June 26, 2014 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled
    blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post.
    Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!

10. Posted August 10, 2014 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

If you happen to be the proud owner of a RV, then there will be no
    need to worry about finding space for parking the magnificent metal
    machine because RV storage units are also available in warehouses.
    With most reputed companies having their website, one can easily locate a warehouse by typing the name of the city and the area code.
    There are pre-fabricated, wanting to assemble and custom built styles to focus on your requirements.

11. Posted October 5, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

What’s upp to every one, since I am in fact
    eager off reading this webpage’s post to be updated regularly.
    It consists of fastidious stuff.

12. Posted November 24, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

And even those who work for someone else are often able to telecommute several
    days out of the week. The decision to sell furnished or unfurnished can also be influenced by the
    market as it is customary to expect furniture
    to come with the sale in some places while this is actually
    a disadvantage in other locations because the buyer may have specific tastes,
    or they may already own furniture. According to the EPA, highly susceptible individuals, such
    as persons who are very young, old or sick, can even suffer greater health effects from indoor
    air pollution than outdoor air pollution.

13. Posted November 28, 2014 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Great web site. Plenty of helpful info here. I am sending it to
    several buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious.
    And of course, thanks in your sweat!