a revealing dinner at dante

Some people have the gift of patience. Admittedly, I am not one of them. I find it difficult to even wait to give people their birthday or Christmas presents! So the notion of waiting throughout the entire duration of a pregnancy to find out the sex is simply baffling to me. So just like our last pregnancy, we had the technician write down the sex of the baby and seal it in an envelope. We took that envelope to dinner at Dante and had our own unveiling ceremony.

I like Dante more and more after each visit. And I especially like its location, conveniently located across from Banyan Tree, which allows for some pre-dinner shopping.

Our meal started off with two surprising glasses of prosecco. Our server mixed us up with another couple celebrating an anniversary or birthday (they ask during the reservation if you’re celebrating anything special – apparently if you are, they throw in a nice little treat). Even after we told her we were just out for a nice dinner, she said, oh well – happy Friday then and enjoy. We did, or rather, Jamie did. I was saving my one weekly allotted drink for a glass of cabernet with dinner.

Our meal started off with an order of the crispy calamari and rock shrimp with a chili mayo, a favorite of Jamie’s. Then onto the truffled chicken miso soup for me and banana butternut squash soup with cinnamon foam for Jamie. For dinner, I opted for two tastings of the pasta: the pappardelle bolognese and linguine carbonara.

If you know anything about Dante, you know he’s a master at Asian cooking (which is why I am eagerly waiting for Ginko to open!), and this soup was a perfect example. The aromas from both soups were heavenly, but mine especially was beyond good – I thoroughly enjoyed every bite and even contemplated another bowl. As for the pastas, his tasting portions are really quite generous. I can’t imagine how someone could eat a full portion. I had leftovers – and I’m eating for two. Of the two I sampled, I definitely enjoyed the carbonara with its beautifully poached egg more. The pappardelle was nice, but not as enjoyable as a previous visit.

We skipped dessert because we were both too full, though I was tempted by the cheese selection. All in all, it was truly a wonderful night out in Tremont. Spring-like weather, crowded streets, restaurants and store fronts, and of course, a wonderful meal accompanied by a very special reveal.

Oh, and by the way, we’re having another girl!

1. Janet
    Posted February 24, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

YAY!! Natalie’s getting a little sister!!

2. Posted February 24, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Congratulations!! I am one of those who is waiting until birth to find out the sex ;) Now that we’re down to two weeks to go, it is becoming increasingly hard ;)

3. Posted February 24, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I love those pasta tastings and I need to make reservations there – I remember how good that bolognese was.

4. Posted February 24, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Congratulations and all the best for the pending birth of your daughter.

5. Heather
    Posted February 24, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

We are finally headed to Dante in a couple of weeks and I can’t wait! After reading this I am really excited to go!

6. Posted February 24, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Aww, congrats! And I love how you guys seal it up and wait for a special moment to find out.

7. jen
    Posted February 25, 2011 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Congrats! I have 3 yr old and 1 yr old girls and it is great!! And thanks for the reminder about Dante. I am going to make the reservation right now!

8. Matthew Harlan
    Posted February 25, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

CONGRATS!!! We ate at Dante last week also and it was great.

9. rockandroller
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Excited for you and your 2nd girl. How was it having an Asian type first course and then what sounds like an Italian main? I would think that would be kind of confusing to the palatte.

10. Michelle V
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks everyone!!

@Allison – congrats to you, too! Hope you’re feeling good as you head into the final days.

@Rockandroller – Being pregnant, my taste buds and cravings are all over the place. So going from one extreme to another doesn’t seem at all off to me – in fact, it was quite good :)

11. Brittany
    Posted March 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Congratulations!! When are you due? I’m pregnant with my second, too, due in August, and ironically, our daughter’s name is also Natalie. We are not finding out the gender. But, when we were still on the fence, we wanted to plan the reveal just as you did (envelope, nice, private dinner, etc.) Also, just wanted to say kudos for allowing yourself a drink here and there. I have heard that this is totally fine, but wish it were more the norm!

12. Posted March 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

@Brittany: Thanks – and congrats to you, too! Due in July. I didn’t have anything to drink in the first tri for obvious reasons, but do allow myself one glass of wine a week now if I feel like it. And my doc says that’s totally fine. But I have received looks here and there while out. But mostly, I hear from many prego moms that they do the same thing.

13. Brittany
    Posted March 1, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Yep, seems more common (and doctor-accepted) now, which I love. Good luck w/ the rest of your pregnancy!