changes coming to stone mad

I’ve never been to Stone Mad (with the exception of a super quick drink post last year’s TedXCLE, but that really doesn’t count given the crowd and amount of time I was actually there). Since they have opened, I have consistently heard the same two thoughts: Great space, food and service needs much improvement. And while I typically like to form my own opinion on restaurants, I just never did with this space for whatever reason.

But this is all about to change. I learned recently via my favorite mod mex chef, Eric Williams, that he’s temporarily helping this place out. Williams shared that he is consulting for Stone Mad on West 65th. They recently lost their chef and are looking for big changes, so he jumped at the opportunity.

The changes we can expect to see include a new menu, new uniforms, addition of music throughout the space, new happy hour and new seating. Apparently, they are working to re-brand the space as a cool pub with an emphasis on the bocce court and large stone fireplace.

Stone mad will be closed on February 15 to change over the menu. Williams and team plan to pull a 48 hour extreme kitchen makeover of sorts and will have a soft opening shortly thereafter. Williams will be on hand for a few weeks post change to make sure things run smoothly, etc.

A sample of the new menu items include:

• potato & leek soup
  • romaine salad, creamy anchovy dressing & parmesan
  • smoked chicken bratwurst, mascarpone polenta
  • mussels, garlic & white wine
  • stuffed peppers, pork sausage & Italian gravy
  • grilled chicken tenders, buffalo style & apple-fennel slaw
  • flank steak salad, pickled red onions & buttermilk dressing
  • French bread pizza: shrimp puttenesca; salami & pepperocini; Italian sausage & smoked cabbage
  • Sandwiches: stone ale braised beef brisket; turkey club; burger
  • Entrees (each with a choice of 8 different sides): almond crusted trout; double pork chops; ribeye steak
  • Happy hour: mussels; beef brisket sliders, pizza, cabbage (all $5, served 4 – 7 p.m. at the bar)

1. chris
    Posted February 7, 2011 at 9:46 am | Permalink

ANYWHERE ERIC WILLIAMS IS ill be eating! So much respect for what hes done for cleveland and so happy to see his influence on another restaurant.

2. Posted February 7, 2011 at 10:11 am | Permalink

I’m thrilled about this! It’s so close to home, yet I’ve only stopped by once. It was a late summer afternoon on a weekday and the place was empty. We were the only people there (!) My husband and I wanted to enjoy a cocktail on the fabulous patio, but were coldly told by staff we could only sit on the patio if we had a reservation. We left and haven’t been back. I can’t wait to see if the service has improved. keeping my fingers crossed.

3. Posted February 7, 2011 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Looks like a great pub menu.

4. Mary Ann
    Posted February 7, 2011 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Although I have not been to Stone Mad since last summer, it remains one of my favorite places to eat. The service has always been slow, but never unbearable. I hope the new Chef keeps the mussel recipe on the menu, because this is one of the best in Cleveland.

5. Heidi Ketvertis
    Posted February 7, 2011 at 10:43 am | Permalink

My husband has been and thinks the space is amazing and that the burgers are really good… however, I don’t believe he has tried anything else! Sounds like they are keeping the burger…

6. Mary Corrigan
    Posted February 7, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

I have been to the Stone Mad twice for dinner, food was ok-I am looking forward to the new “vibe” The place is not very child friendly for a “neighborhood Irish Pub” We showed up with my grandson to meet some friens and the waitress informed us they had NO highchirs or booster seats, she told me I could bring the car seat in for if I wished, we left.

7. Posted February 8, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

I’m so happy to hear this news. I’ve usually been disappointed with the service and food…with the exception of their fish fry specials last fall.

8. Hayley
    Posted February 17, 2011 at 10:37 am | Permalink

This is great news! We had a larger group at Stone Mad this past fall and the service was HORRIBLE! The patio looked adorable – but I never wanted to return – now, you’ve given me a reason to return!!!