grand opening: sweet moses

This Saturday is the grand opening of Sweet Moses Soda Fountain and Treat Shop in Gordon Square. This past Saturday was the media preview, which I was hired as a freelancer to help coordinate. This of course made my daughter happy as she got to sample quite the spread of ice cream and christen the special table just for minis.

One of my favorite movies of all time is It’s a Wonderful Life. Several scenes in the movie take place in Gower’s Drugs, the fictional soda fountain shop and drug store. Stepping inside Sweet Moses this past weekend, I felt like I was taking a step back in time, to something that would have been around during the days of George Bailey.

Perhaps that’s because the majority of the items found inside the shop come from authentic shops across the country. Something that owner Jeff Moreau spent a significant time tracking down. From the booths, to the stools, to the authentic 16-foot Tennessee marble soda fountain from a drugstore in the 1930s. That drugstore was forced to close in the 70s when a large pharmacy moved into the small Virginia town and stood abandoned for almost 40 years until the new owners showed up and found the store exactly as it was when the doors closed decades ago. And now has a new home, alongside many of the artifacts found inside Sweet Moses.

Amazing attention to detail aside, look for sweet treats and lots of them. From phosphates to gourmet peanut butter sandwiches, floats, candy, fudge, sundaes, popcorn and of course, ice cream.

Sweet Moses, named after our city’s founder, Moses Cleaveland, will certainly become a destination you’ll want to check out – whether in the area or not. There’s simply nothing like it around. And if that doesn’t get you, wait until you try the fudge.

1. Posted March 23, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Thanks again for the invite to the media preview. Sweet Moses is a fantastic new spot and we’ll be spending many an evening indulging there.

2. Posted March 23, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Looking forward to going soon – Cookies & Cream Ice Cream all the way! And, perhaps I’ll get some popcorn and fudge for my pregnant sister ;)

3. rockandroller
    Posted March 23, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

My mother has been rubbing her hands together with glee waiting for this place to open. My 2 year old will love going there with her!

4. Posted March 24, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

this place looks so unique I cant wait to try it.

5. Posted March 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait to try this out :) PB and bacon? sold!

6. Betsy
    Posted March 26, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Terrific classic sundae and chocolate malt. Sweet Moses is the the epitome of the classic soda fountain with great attention to detail and terrific service! We’ll be back.

7. Betsy
    Posted March 26, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Terrific classic sundae and chocolate malt. Sweet Moses is the epitome of the classic soda fountain with great attention to detail and terrific service! We’ll be back.

8. Katie
    Posted March 27, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

I wish I had a million dollars…Hot Dog! :) -George

9. Melissa
    Posted April 30, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Loved the atmosphere and location, but did not like the prices. I had a chocolate malt for $5 and at Mitchell’s you can get one for $4.25 and it is twice as big.