welcome back outdoor dining. you’ve been missed.

Aside from the cheese, my favorite thing about the old Baricelli Inn is it’s patios. Actually, it was perhaps my favorite patio in town as the outdoor dining settings are simply perfect. I’ve spent several summer nights sitting on that patio enjoying nothing more than the perfect atmosphere, a bottle of red, some crusty bread and lots of stinky cheese.

When news spread of Baricelli’s closing, it was that patio that I quickly started to mourn. But mourn no more. Scott Kuhn, owner of Washington Place Bistro & Inn, the mansion’s newest tenant, set out to only improve my beloved space.

On Tuesday night, I helped Scott coordinate a patio kick-off party (as previously mentioned, he hired me for some freelance PR and social outreach support last fall). He and his chef put together a pig roast with all the wonderfully tasty trimmings. On a side note, I love pig roasts and often thought it would be fun to throw my own. But admittedly am afraid of, well, the actual roasting of the pig. Would anyone notice if I hosted a pig roast with killer sides and no actual hog in sight?

Scott cleaned up the patio, improved the landscaping and set out all new furniture. In addition, he added a very secluded VIP table hidden in its own garden. Ideal for proposals, anniversaries, special birthdays, or wanting to impress your favorite food blogger…

It’s safe to say this will still be one of my most coveted places on warm nights. This patio, like many in town, are now open and ready to partake in many fun summer evenings.

Where’s your favorite place to dine al fresco?

1. Posted May 12, 2011 at 7:33 am | Permalink

The Washington Place patio is divine! When Scott mentioned the VIP table, I not so subtly nudged CLEguy :-)

I also love Momocho’s patio!

Thanks again for the invite to Washington Place. Always nice to see you!

2. Posted May 12, 2011 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Thank you again for the invitation to check out their patio. It was perfect! What a great night, and I’m already looking forward to coming back.

3. mike
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 7:57 am | Permalink

The patio at Luxe is great. For just drinks, I love Prosperity. It’s like hanging out in a friend’s backyard (granted, a friend who charges you for drinks).

4. Posted May 12, 2011 at 8:15 am | Permalink

I’m really anxious to try the patios at L’Albatros and Light Bistro. Geraci’s in Little Italy has an amazing patio, it’s like another world!!

I had a really shaky brunch at WP so I’m mustering up the courage to go back. Sounds wonderful!

5. Heather
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 8:20 am | Permalink

My husband and I had a great lunch on the patio at Don’s Pomeroy House in Strongsville yesterday. Since it is in an old homestead it really is in the backyard!

6. cyndi
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink

can’t wait for Blue Canyon’s patio to open!!!

7. Posted May 12, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Outdoor dining has a romance to it that just can’t be duplicated. For a get together for two or a big party for a crowd, the outdoors adds that flair and fantasy you desire. Especially in the evening with a few dusky lamps and the sound of crickets chirping…

8. Posted May 13, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

I used to love the patio at Bar Symon in Avon Lake, but then it closed over the winter. Will definitely have to try out Washington Place.

9. Missy
    Posted May 13, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

My favorite place to spend an evening outside is the patio at Gervasi Vineyard in Canton. It usually has live music and there’s plenty of space to talk a romantic walk afterwards around the lake. And there pizza and wine are fantastic!

I can’t wait to check out Washington Place. I sent a link of your post to my husband…as a little hint for a nice romantic date night.

10. Dave
    Posted May 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

@Clue into Cleveland – Did you see a new restaurant opened in Bar Symon’s place, The Wood Fire Grille? Haven’t been there yet so I can’t comment on the food, but the patio still looks the same.

11. Posted May 14, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

There’s something about Johnny Mango’s patio – or maybe it’s just the sangria that I always get when I dine there!

Thank you again for inviting me to attend that evening. Hans was bummed that he couldn’t attend after I told him about the patio and the food. Looks like I’ll be returning very soon.

12. Michelle V
    Posted May 18, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Agree – Blue Canyon has a great patio! I also love the patio at L’Albatros and even Vine & Bean for Sunday brunch. Oh, and it’s fun to st outside at Greenhouse and people watch. And finally, a bit of a drive, but I really enjoy sitting outside at Harpersfield winery, too.