faux vegan

When not eating, I pretend to have a clue about marketing – mainly PR and social media. As such, I am constantly exploring and experimenting with new platforms. Latest is Medium (sorta like Twitter’s distant cousin for when you have much more to say). Here’s my inaugural post:

I love food. Cooking, entertaining or dining out – much of my life surrounds food and breaking bread with those that matter most to me. But I needed to make some changes. We’re not talking severe weight loss or doctor’s orders. Not even close (though finally dropping my freshman 15 from 1995 would certainly be nice). I just want to be healthier – for me, my kids and the world I leave behind.

Enter Mark Bittman’s VB6. Or Vegan Before 6. Simple concept – eat Vegan up until 6 p.m., then have at it for dinner. One week in is hardly enough time to plant a flag on a new lifestyle. But so far, so good. I am enjoying the changes made and exploring new recipies. And find that this really isn’t all that difficult. Cappuccino is now with soy. Green smoothies daily, sometimes twice. Big salad for lunch – or soup. Fresh fruit or nuts throughout the day. For dinner,whatever we’re craving with just a few minor tweaks (meat on the side – if at all, creative with grains). For example, risotto made with steel-cut oats is ridiculously good. Seriously – try Bittman’s porcini steel-cut risotto. Even my kids approved.

Tonight, it’s his baked falafel with tahini sauce. Then I’ll treat myself to some Bouche from Mackenzie Creamery that we picked up at the farmers’ market with a glass of wine. After 6 p.m. of course.

If you have a favorite vegan or vegetarian dish, please share!

1. smmartis
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

The baked falafel recipe is one of the ones I want to try.  I am curious how it turns out.

2. gorgeousjo
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

We have been doing the meatless monday thing around our house and it has spilled over into other days of the week.  Recently I made a delicious recipe from Jerusalem: A Cookbook, Rice with chickpeas and currants.  I served with a tossed salad alongside and it was delicious.  My husband loved it and was very satisfied, which says a lot about the dish as he is a huge carnivore. I really love this book and can’t wait to try more of the vegetarian dishes it offers.
    Here is a link to the recipe I made.

3. LeahWeissCaruso
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 12:05 am | Permalink

I think the hardest thing for me would be to give up dairy – it’s such a huge part of my daily eating, not so much meat/chicken. Yogurt for breakfast, usually some form of cheese for lunch, etc. I can’t really eat soy or soy products, so in a pinch I use rice or almond milk.

4. MichelleVocaireVenorsky
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

@LeahWeissCaruso I too love cheese. I mean – love cheese! I could never give that up. Dairy in general for that matter. But I think I can greatly limit it to evenings as a treat. In fact. I mostly skip dessert anyway in favor of cheese. Not daily, but certainly weekly. I am finding that giving up skim for soy (which I see you can’t) wasn’t all that difficult. We shall see!

5. HammyKG
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Hey Michelle,

Check out my friend’s (and yoga teacher) company. They always post great ideas and their food looks delish! They are becoming quite popular in CLE!
    clevelandvegan.com

6. Posted October 3, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Modify your life style! Do you want to modify your life style? It is no matter. Take these products and alter your life style. That makes you good-looking.

7. Posted August 15, 2014 at 1:55 am | Permalink

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my
    own blog and was wondering what all is required to get setup?

I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very internet savvy so I’m not 100% positive.
    Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Appreciate it